Yesterday afternoon, at 3:25pm, Amaus Joseph Reed entered the world!! At 7:00 am, I woke up to a contraction that had a little "kick" to it. I was scared to get my hopes up again but they continued to come all morning, and were gaining intensity. I spent the morning contemplating when to leave. In the middle of a contraction I would think, "we should have already left", but then I felt so good between them that I would think, "Oh no. We better wait a while." They stayed around 6-7 mins apart. At 10:30 am I decided we should probably head to BR. I thought that once we got there, if my contractions had not picked up any more we could walk around somewhere to kill time while I progressed. The drive was surprisingly pleasant and the contractions were gaining intensity but I still felt pretty wonderful between them.
We met Jackie(my friend and doula), and Jenny (friend/ doula) at the hospit
al and when I began walking around, it felt pretty good and seemed to be helping. I decided to just walk laps around the hospital for a while. It was a pretty hilarious sight I think. A rather "ripe" waddling pregnant lady, surrounded by a possie that included doulas, a lady taking lot's of pics, and a husband. :>) We walked around about 5-6 times, so I am told. I really sort of lost track. I cannot say how enjoyable that was. The day couldn't have been more beautiful. The temperature was perfect and there was a wonderful breeze. We all just joked and laughed as we lapped around the General. I really think that was one thing that got me through. I was so distracted by the positive, light hearted atmosphere, and time flew by. On about lap 4 or 5 during a contraction, I thought my water had broken...there was a little gush with the contraction. A lady passed by as I grabbed my crotch out of reflex and shouted, "I think my water just broke!" Oh well. something about labor makes you loose tact, I suppose. :>) That was affirmed, when with each contraction there would be more gushing. After my flip flops were a rather squishy mess of amniotic fluid, I said I was ready to go on in to the hospital.
Someone told me I could reach down and touch the baby's head as it crowned. When I touched the top of the Amaus' head, it retracted back inside at my touch. It was strange. I said, "The baby went back inside when I touched it!!" Of course, all I had touched was the tip of Amaus's head, but it was weird how he pulled back inside when he felt my touch.
Pretty soon, I pushed and his head came out. At this point, I remember hearing someone tell me to go on and push the baby out. I could not do that at this point. There was no contraction. There was no way I could push. So Amaus's head was just out under-water, for what seemed like a while. (although it may have been no time at all) I think the gathering of medical personnel behind me may have gotten antsy at this point. I am so thankful I was allowed to wait through that time on my body, as the baby turned exactly right, to make his exit. I have a pic of his head underwater- and he appears to be perfectly at peace, like he is asleep. While waiting on the next contraction, I sipped some cold water from one of those big hospital cups. Finally, the next contraction came and the rest of his body was pushed into the warm water of the birthing tub. Brandi and Danny got Amaus from the water, and I turned over and held him.
Pretty soon, I pushed and his head came out. At this point, I remember hearing someone tell me to go on and push the baby out. I could not do that at this point. There was no contraction. There was no way I could push. So Amaus's head was just out under-water, for what seemed like a while. (although it may have been no time at all) I think the gathering of medical personnel behind me may have gotten antsy at this point. I am so thankful I was allowed to wait through that time on my body, as the baby turned exactly right, to make his exit. I have a pic of his head underwater- and he appears to be perfectly at peace, like he is asleep. While waiting on the next contraction, I sipped some cold water from one of those big hospital cups. Finally, the next contraction came and the rest of his body was pushed into the warm water of the birthing tub. Brandi and Danny got Amaus from the water, and I turned over and held him.
Dr. Huynh and Bethanie (nurse midwife) arrived around this time somewhere, but I am not sure when. She helped me lift my leg over so that the cord wasn't coming across my side anymore. After about 5 mins I think, I decided to get out of the water and go sit on the bed, as I waited to deliver the placenta, which was still attached to Amaus. After it was delivered, Danny cut the cord. Dr. Huynh checked for any tears, and said that I only had a small place...maybe a skid mark, that didn't require a stitch. That was something I have prayed for for about 7 months. I didn't realize what a miracle that was until he was weighed. Amaus was 10 lbs 11.9 oz, and 21.5 inches long. Who woulda thunk?
I could not have asked for a more wonderful birth. Every detail of my birth plan was honored, and I received no questions or flack about a single request. (no IV-no pitocin-no vax-no vit k- no eye ointment-no taking baby-not cutting the cord until after placenta was delivered- and EVERYTHING) As a matter of fact, I did not come across a single rude person either. Every nurse who came in to check on us, was beyond friendly. I have never felt better after a birth. (No, I haven't had a million;Only 2 others) I feel great. He is so beautiful and we are so thankful for such an incredible hospital birth.
3 comments:
Those pictures are amazing!! I love that you captured so many moments of your labor and birth. The one of Amaus first being placed in your arms is so so beautiful. :)
I am so honored to have been a part of that. Thanks again.
Calley, your birth story is incredible. You're truly blessed to have had the birth that you did in a hospital setting. I had a similar experience with Jasper and I realize how fortunate I was as well.
Your story was beautifully written and the pictures turned out great. Thank you for sharing with us. :)
Post a Comment