Wednesday, July 31, 2013

10 Tips for Tired Mamas

Since Salem's birth, things have been different. Once one's children are getting older and sleeping through the night, it's easy to forget what it felt like to survive on a few hours of sleep. That is, until a new blessing arrives and we are quickly brought back to the realities of true tiredness. 

But with all that being said, there are things that the Lord is teaching me about living with victory, regardless of disturbed sleep. I am seeing the fruit of these principles in daily living. I only wish I would've known them sooner and spared myself months of self pity and lack of focus while I waited on my babies to sleep all night. The time for abundant life is now! Not when "so and so" happens later.

I'm not a fan of sleep training for babies, only because it goes against the core of who I am and who I'm called to be like. My Lord answers when I call. He responds with His love when I need Him, and He lays His comforting hand on me when I need to know He's there.

Isaiah 66:13
As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you; and you will be comforted over Jerusalem."

Isaiah 49:15
"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!

God's love is boundless. When we're new "babies" in the faith, He responds differently than when we grow to be more mature in our faith. In time, He expects more of us, but He always responds, nonetheless.

Now that being said, I do not want to give the impression that I respond with the compassion of Jesus every time my son wakes me up. Ha! Far from it! I'm learning!! I've been known to babble some pretty nutso things at 3AM at the response of the third or fourth disruption in the night!

In fact, last week Danny asked me as I sighed and responded to Salem once again in the middle of the night, "What can I do to help, Calley?" In my half asleep stupor, I said, "Hit me over the head with a meat tenderizer!" I have no idea what I was talking about...but apparently I was feeling rough at the moment!

So I'm certainly learning what it means to respond with joy! These 10 tips are helping me immensely and are revolutionizing my day-time living. I hope they are helpful to the other tired mamas I know out there!

(These are in no particular order!)

1) VITAMIN B, VITAMIN D, VITAMIN P:
If you don't always have a perfect diet, take some vitamins. I take a prenatal, B complex, and fish oil regularly. If I feel a cold or something coming on, I throw in some vitamin C and a couple of herbs. That's usually garlic and echinacea. These all make a big difference in how I feel. 

Getting OUTSIDE, even for 10 minutes can change one's morale dramatically. I cannot say how often I've overlooked this! Even just stepping outside to hang out the clothes can change how I feel!
 There's just something about getting out  and soaking up God's beautiful creation for a few minutes. Take a short walk with the kids. Even if everyone's extremely cranky. Especially if everyone is extremely cranky. It. Will. Help.

VITAMIN P=PLAY: Play with your kids. When you're tired you might not feel like it. It will change your attitude, the attitudes of your kids, and the atmosphere of your home. Play comes from a joyful heart.
That's why depressed and stressed out people seem void of joy and also never seem to have the time or desire to enjoy life. It also works in reverse. Start playing and see how great you feel. 

2) KEEP PERSPECTIVE!
This phase in your life won't last forever, but you'll look back on it longing to gather even a minute of the precious delight of holding your baby in a matter of months. Such is life. We wish to go forward, we wish to go backward. Let's LIVE now!  

Relish in the sweetness of your baby's darling new giggles, first crawls, and new discoveries. They'll be gone in an instant. 

Refuse to allow self pity to rob you of the blessing right before you. You might be sleepy, but you're in one of the most rewarding seasons of your life. Drink it in. Soak it up. Be THANKFUL. It's beautiful.

3) SET GOALS AND KEEP THEM!
I'm a very goal oriented person. It helps me to keep perspective. I recently began jogging again. I have the goal of jogging 3 miles by September. This goal keeps me focused and helps me have something to work towards in day in day out living.

I have goals in my marriage. A goal to sit down daily with my husband and discuss the meat of life...alone. That means I have to juggle my schedule around to have our children in bed at a reasonable time. It's important to me. I also set monthly goals with my spouse. Goals to have a fun date out together, if possible. Goals to have an in-house date, like a movie, a game, etc. 

I have spiritual goals. Goals to learn to rest in God's presence right in the middle of chaos. Goals to stand in faith right in the middle of disobedience and trial as a family. A goal to know Jesus more each day. 

I have family goals. A goal to spend individual time with my 5 children. A goal to have family focused fun and do things that help develop character in my children.

Be intentional about goals. People rarely achieve things by happen-chance. Many a person looks back and wishes they would have spent their time on things that mattered more. That's why it takes being intentional and relentless to really see change. Have faith, believing God is working through you (HE IS IF YOU TRUST HIM!) and take steps each day toward God-given goals. This in itself will change your life.

4) RECEIVE THE GRACE AVAILABLE TO YOU!
When things don't work out like you'd hoped, deliberately stomp satan in the head by choosing to believe God anyway. 
 
When you weren't able to meet your goal, never throw your hands up and say, "Oh well. It's impossible for me right now. I quit." Get up, and go again. 

I had to take 2 weeks off from working towards my 3 mile run because I messed my back up. It made me want to give up. That's ALWAYS the temptation. "What does it matter anyway?!" 
Oh no! Keep going. 

Proverbs 24:16
for though the righteous fall seven times, they rise again, but the wicked stumble when calamity strikes.

You might lose your cool. You might say things you didn't mean to say. You might get really angry over the 50th trivial thing that happened today. It's okay. You ARE NOT a failure! You are a warrior. Move forward, regardless of temporary light afflictions. 
There is grace. Run to the cross, repent, and find strength in HIS arms. He designed us to need HIM. Depend on His grace to carry you.
2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

His grace is sufficient right I'm the middle of your mess-up and your disappointment. 

5) REWARD YOURSELF FOR MEETING GOALS!

I'm planning to get these shoes when I reach my 3 mile goal, if possible.

I've never had an athletic bone in my body, and you probably wouldn't catch me dead in athletic wear. But I ADORE these bad boys. What can I say? I'm a lace lover from way back, and Asics feel like pillows on my feet. :)
But giving yourself a treat for reaching a goal is a beautiful way to stay motivated!

6) PRIORITIZE LIFE:
Some things aren't important. I can't take care of my children and talk on the phone all day. Some people won't understand  that homeschooling is "real" school and you can't drop it on a whim and actually get things done. Others might not understand that family time is having something important to do. That's okay. Be gracious with people and firm in your convictions and priorities. When these things get out of balance, everything will go to mush. God, spouse, immediate family, ministry, and then everything else. 

7) REST!
The old saying, "Nap while baby naps," might work with one or two kids, but it can be thrown out the window when you move up to 3+ kids. Instead, focus on minutes of rest here and there.

Sitting back and relaxing for 10 minutes will help. Read to your kids. Watch a cartoon. Even, shut your eyes after lunch for five minutes and take some deep breaths. It really helps. 

8) GET DRESSED!
No sleep might be a viable excuse for staying in pajamas all day or declaring a "slob day," but it won't make you feel any better and probably will make you feel worse. It's been noted that people who take their job seriously dress the role, and take care to look like they do. 

I fail at this sometimes, but strive to make it routine to dress as a declaration that my job is important. No, I'm not wearing frilly clothes, but I do put on jeans or shorts or a skirt, a non-slouchy shirt, make-up, fix my hair, and usually wear shoes. 

My job is important. I'm greatly humbled by that realization. I'm called to raise up leaders in the next generation. I'm called to equip my kids to know how to live a fruitful and blessed life. I'm called to raise arrows to shoot straight and with purpose against the works of darkness. I'm not perfect at it but the importance of this calling is no joke. It's real important. I want to declare that I know what a responsibility it is in all that I do. Even my dress. 

I also want to be attractive to my husband. He always tells me I'm beautiful, even when I have those slob days. But I want to strive to be my best. 

When we were dating I wanted to always 
look my best for my husband-to-be. Why would I do less now that I love him more? 

It's an area I'm working on. I FEEL worlds better when I'm dressed to face the day!

9) FEED YOURSELF THE WORD:
Keep good music playing. Be thankful. Focus your attention on the King.
When it gets off, place it back on Him. Grab a scripture here and there and meditate on it as you go through your day. If you have time for more, take advantage of it. If you don't have an hour- make the most of the time you do have. The Lord knows your heart and calling. Pour it all out for Him and He'll make something beautiful out of it.

10) REMEMBER!
What you're doing each day matters! Society doesn't have to notice. You and I may mess up and we might feel inadequate, but this job is important and if we depend on God, we will see the fruit of our labor! 
 
Galatians 6:9
9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

I may be tired, but I'm blessed! This season of life will soon be passed and in its place, the memories of how this time was used. 

What am I discovering? That real joy and thankfulness goes a long way in compensating where a few hours of sleep are missed! 

"Lord, help me to trust you as you teach me to live with victory. Where I'm missing it, show me how to walk! I need YOU. I depend on you. Thank you for answering when I call!"









1 comment:

Carrie said...

Thank you for sharing!!