Thursday, January 15, 2009

Fathers, Provoke not your children to wrath...

Phew. It has been a challenging week. Amaus has been fussy with a cold. Isaac is doing many irrational things- things he has never done before, like deliberately tearing up things, and being destructive (amongst many other things). Josiah...well, I'll get there in a minute.
There are always days here and there like this; Occasionally weeks. I know they are phases, and they will pass. When we are having times like this, I feel like I am nothing but a disciplinarian, nothing but a bobble head Mom who utters "No, NO, NO!" every time I am shaken. I feel like I should wear a shirt that says, "BECAUSE I SAID SO!" and then maybe I can just point to it every time the need arises. Boy would I have a strong finger.
Sometimes I find myself feeling like I am in a snowball of "No's". What I mean is, I have had to say the word 'no' so incredibly much that my immediate response to a question is a straight up, "no". Even if it is unneeded. Even if what is being asked for is perfectly okay. Of course, what comes next in my mind is, "Wait a minute. Now that isn't a big deal at all. But now I have said no and..."
It is so hard to find the right balance. Sometimes my kids are just being kids. (Perhaps, screaming and stomping through the house- while Amaus is trying to nap for the third time...(I'm only hypothetically speaking-of course)) Sometimes they are deliberately being bad. Nonetheless, I think it can be so easy to wear them down with rules and "No's", that they feel what I expect of them is unattainable. Why even bother?
Today, when Josiah and I were having school, he wouldn't even try. It was so frustrating. As soon as I would try to explain something he would begin whining and laying his head on his desk saying he couldn't and he didn't understand. I mean, when I began to speak- he began to whine. Now it doesn't take a genius to figure out that when a kid has their head down on the table and they are whining, they aren't hearing a word you are saying.
Me: "Of course you cannot understand. You will not stop whining long enough to listen. You have done this before. I know you can do it. "
Josiah: "This is too hard. Awwwww...I just don't understand". (This is simultaneous with my voice. )
I began to get more and more angry. Perhaps this is when my stubbornness kicked in, and I got a "you just don't want to do this- but you WILL do it" type attitude. A short worksheet that should have taken 15 mins, took 1 hr...and it was a miserable hour. We finally moved on to another task...which he refused to do altogether. I became more angry. Finally, I told him he needed to go to his room for a while until he was ready to listen.
This is not the schooling picture I want, or enjoy. We have had an absolute blast for the majority of the year- but the last week has not come close. While Josiah was in his room, I went and sat down in the recliner to feed Amaus, who had been also crying while I tried to help Josiah. That may have aided in my frustration. I sat and thought of everything we were doing, and all that Josiah has learned this year. I sat and thought of why I was so frustrated and why I felt like nothing but a super sized Groucho. Then I felt the Lord speaking to me about my attitude.
Almost all at once I was reminded of His loving hand that leads me on, teaching me patiently and kindly. I thought of how many times I haven't heeded his instruction, and how many times I have missed out. BUT, he isn't standing over me with a stick ready to beat me. He is lovingly finding ways to urge me on. He places things in my path that are interesting to me- just so I will learn more of him. He most certainly doesn't "punish" me into learning them. When I feel as though I cannot go on, or even when I am being stubborn and just don't want to, he simply sit's and hugs me. His love gives me the strength I need to push on. When I gave my all to Jesus, if there would have been someone standing over me constantly telling me to meet some expectation, I would have been worn down and I would have probably given up. The Lord slowly weaned me away from the things that he didn't want in my life- and He still is. He does it ever so gently. He convicts, but he points to the hope and reward on the other side.
Suddenly, I understood that I have expected far too much from Josiah. I often expect his actions and smarts to match that of a ten year old. I suppose it is because he is uniquely mature for his age. I can carry on a very advanced conversation with this 5 yr old. While his intelligence and maturity seem advanced, his attention span and emotions may not be. Because I want so desperately to see him thrive in all he does, I have packed too many expectations on his back- and he feels he cannot meet them. The Lord spoke to me and showed me that I am setting him up for never feeling "good enough". I have clearly seen the root of our problems over the last week- my pride.
When Josiah had had enough of school, it wasn't time for me to tack on discipline- it was time for me to take a break and play with him. It was time for me to say- "You've done well. Now what would you like to do?"
I have repented. Lord, you are not a task master, nor should I be one either.
God help me to strive to mimic your example as a Father. Your yoke is easy, and your burden is light. You always lead me on tenderly. You always instruct me gently. I want to be like you.

6 comments:

Cristi said...

Your kids have an amazing mom.

Avery's Mommy said...

I agree...as I have said time and time again you are truly Supermom. in more ways than I can count! You inspire moms like me to try much harder :)

Calley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Calley said...

Thank you...But the truth is- I have so much to learn and change. Thanks for the encouragement. :>)

Penny said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. I've been teaching for several years now and still have to remind myself to be patient.... sometimes daily, sometimes hourly. :) It is so easy to get frustrated when they are not cooperating, especially when you know they can do it. I have to remind myself that there are things I know how to do and just don't feel like doing at that particular time or just get bored. You're right to remind yourself that Josiah is not as old as he seems. As genius as he is, his attention span has not caught up to his intelligence level. Sometimes mine is not what it should be either. :) If you ever get stuck on a subject and need ideas on how to make a game out of it, you know all you have to do is call. (If I can't help you also have a wonderful sister-in-law that would be glad to.) Lucky you.
Anyway, I can tell in Sunday School that you are doing an awesome job! If you lighten up on yourself, I'm sure your expectations for Josiah will fall right in place.

Penny said...

I started a blog. Just click on my profile and follow the link. :) Maybe we should get those pics taken soon and post them, if that's okay with Danny. :)