I am going to my best to give a quick summary of last week at camp. I went to Winnsboro, Texas on Sunday morning of last week with our 3 little boys in tow. I think it should've been about a 6 hr drive- but we were pulling a train and so we ended up taking about 8 hrs. Lots of little ones needing to eat and use the restroom. :)
We went to Scripture Memory Camp- http://scripturememoryfellowship.org/. The scripture memory organization just rents a summer camp. If the kids memorize a book of scriptures (books compiled by the organization based on age level and topic) then they get to go to camp for half price. Josiah spent the latter part of the year working on memorizing the book called ,"I Am", which contains many of the scriptures about who Jesus said he is. (the bread of Life, the true vine, the Alpha and Omega, etc.) Anyhow, the books are very cheap and there are rewards, like other books and prizes for memorizing. The camp is open to all ages, and so there are usually lots of old folks, and families that come together.
We arrived at the camp that evening. We had just enough time to unpack and make it to supper. The first night service was after that. It is a really traditional type service that they have there...they sing from a book called "Making Melody" that is a compilation of some really old hymns. I actually love most of the songs. The kids were really tired after the hard drive, though...and I had a tremendously hard time keeping them happy and quiet during the long service.
There were classes each morning, and some other times of all coming together to discuss things and play games. I had a challenging time most services because Josiah wasn't sure what to think about "so much church". lol We had some behavior issues out of both of our older ones and it became commonplace each service to have to step out and issue some... peach tree tonic. ahem... Nonetheless, I really felt the camp was good for the boys. They got to attend many classes with other kids. The camp had a pool with a big slide that went down a hill. (the kind you ride down on mats) That was a blast! There was horseback riding and all of the other common camp things too. (baseball, basketball, volleyball) We had a bonfire and a hayride one night, and pizza and ice cream on several other nights. Needless to say- I really lived it up in the eating department. sheesh. There is no telling how many people could have eaten off of the portions I consumed each day! They served us tons of food!
One night during service Isaac needed to go the bathroom, which was in the front of the building. The door to the bathroom was right to the left of the make-shift stage area. Well, I was nursing Amaus in the back, so I let Isaac go on by himself. A minute later, out he comes with only his shirt on, and he has it pulled up in the front!! He came out, most innocently saying, "MAMA! I POO-POOED!" I handed Amaus over to someone and sprinted to the front and brought him in to the bathroom! Talk about embarrassing! Oh man! They'll never forget us at Purley Gates Camp. The won't ever forget Isaac either. He may forever be known as the red-headed boy at camp who streaked during service! LOL Phew. It was a hard working week- but I felt it was beneficial to us all.
Somewhere around mid-week, my back began aching a little. I honestly thought nothing of it. I just assumed it was from riding horses, water sliding, and toting kids around. Well, the last night we were at camp, Amaus was sleeping in a playpen to the side of the bed. He woke up in the middle of the night, and when I reached over and picked him up, something went wrong in my back. It was like a nerve was pinched, and it made me loose my breathe! I was huffing and a puffing and trying to hang on to Amaus, who was hanging over the side of the playpen. I finally pulled him over into the bed. I slept very little that night because I was in a ton of pain. I still have no idea what went wrong, but thankfully, I am now close to being completely back to normal, Praise the Lord!! That was not cool.
I have spent the last couple of days re cooping and visiting family, before we head out for our two week road trip. We are very excited! I intend on trying to update my blog every day that I have wireless, while we are on the road. Tomorrow is packing, cooking (cookies and what-not, for the road), and cleaning day. We will be leaving Thursday morning about 4:00am and heading to Amarillo, TX, for the first leg of our road trip. If you read my blog, please be praying for us as we cross the country.
9 comments:
No scripture memory camp I ever went to had horses and a water slide! wow. That Isaac story was great. Well not for you I'm sure. LOL Ok and I am sure your night in Amarillo will be better this time than last. Didnt we make a pit stop there one winter??? Anyway we will be praying for yall on your trip. Cant wait for the updates. I'll check every day.
Wait that wasnt Amarillo was it? :)
Texline! LOL A bit past Amarillo! I'll stop by the Texline sign just for you! :)
That must have been Albequerque. It was a city with an "A". I know I know, its not Texas. But I think that was it, right?
Looks like fun, and with three kids, a LOT of work! =) Love the story about Isaac-- Shelbi told me Sunday about it! Reminds me of taking my little cousin, Elizabeth, to the bathroom in church when I was 12 or 13. She was potty-training and my aunt asked me to take her. (She had another baby only 13 months younger.) Anyway, when we come back in the sanctuary and sit down, Elizabeth LOUDLY proclaims, "Momma, I poopooed. Where's my poo poo candy?" Seems Aunt Thelma was handing out M&Ms as an incentive. I almost died. ;)
If you have time, head back over to my blog to wish Mal a happy anniversary. It was scheduled for 7:00 Am, but Blogger must be acting retarded again, because it wasn't there when I checked this morning. I had to go in, change the time to the current time, and then publish it! I've had that post ready for WEEKS, now Mal will think I waited till the last minute to do it.
That is SO funny about Isaac! hahaha
Yep- my little streaker likes to feel "free"...lol
Okay first confession time - I read blogs by the ones I'm following on my blog, the top one is most recently updated. Since yours (and Mal's) is private it always stays a the bottom and I forget! So Sorry!
Wow Tic Tac Know...oh the memories! And Making Melody. Aww! Did they sing Pine Trees? Ok, anyway, I am with mom: Horseback riding and water slides??? Man, they have upgraded!
You are such a trooper taking the kids by yourself. Glad your back is feeling better!
that is hilarious about isaac, probably not so much for you =) and like casey said, where was this camp when we were little??? haha
Post a Comment