Thursday, August 20, 2009

Schooling...

The last week and a half has been so fun! I don't regret my decision to use Sonlight at all! Josiah seems to really be loving it, and we are BOTH learning a ton about all different people groups, animals, and also certain countries who still do not have a Bible in their own language. This is something that has really hit Josiah hard. We read a story about some kids who raised money to buy Bible's for people who did not have one, and about how whole villages were changed when they received one Bible! He was amazed! It was later that day, that he came into the kitchen carrying some of his toys. I asked him what he was doing, and he said, "I am having a sale!"

I said, "You are?!" And he went on to explain how he wanted to make some money to buy Bible's for people who didn't have any. I helped him set up a table in the front yard, and some of our family members came by to buy some of his dinosaurs. lol

Things have been running very smooth lately, as far as household business is concerned. (And I give GOD allll the Glory!) The kids have not been fighting near as much. They have even been cleaning stuff up before I ask! This all began when a couple of weeks back, I sat them down and talked to them about how there were a lot of things they knew they weren't supposed to do around the house. (jump on furniture, throw things, HIT each other) We talked about how, from now on, if they got caught doing some of those things, I wasn't going to warn them 3 times before they got into trouble. After all, they have known these things were a "no-no" since they were a yr and a half old. I had gotten to the point where I felt worn out all of the time. All of this was from letting myself get to the angry point when I gave far too many chances for them to behave. I know these are concepts that are a "no-duh" to parents. It seems, however, that it is very easy to get slack in this dept and then one day wake up and realize that nobody will listen to mama anymore.

After applying these changes, I had many battles for about 3 days. It has been fewer battles each day. Since then, the kids are hardly whiny, and they are actually more cheerful all day. Everyone is minding better and better, and whining less and less. I have to say, this makes a household a lot more fun! We seem to be enjoying all of our time together, and seem to not to have to discipline NEAR as much. Thank you Jesus! Now if I can only stay on task in this area. (not only for my sanity, but for the kids' good as well!)



Checking out things from up in the treehouse...hopefully will be finished in a couple of weeks
Danny and the boys outside waiting on some customers








Dinosaur fun in the school house




Amaus snoozing in the school house





No- we don't comb our hair before school. LOL We get dressed, though!






Isaac practicing his, 'A's'








We begin each day with the Word








some computer time









Other recent pictures:




Mr Paul and Amaus are big buddies!











My Meme and Papa, and Dad, Leslie, and Dude all came to eat supper with us one night!












Family movie night! Night at the Museum













Papa playing with Amaus



Josiah's latest creation...the horrible three eyed monster


(BTW- we just signed up Josiah and Isaac for weekly art lessons. They are so excited!



Here are a few pics of the last time we had a Shabbat meal....you can read about it here:
(I don't know how to put a link in one word...sorry! :) )








































5 comments:

Cristi said...

Glad things are going well for you guys. Last night we talked about how school was going and he said he was loving it. Loved Josiah's Toys for Sale sign. He really likes to draw doesnt he? Did you see his work from Sun. night? Isaac informed me Sunday Night that he could make an A now. :) If I hadn't had so many kids in there I would have asked him to show me. I guess I should have anyway. Oh and nice Frito Lay table! :)

Cristi said...

Oh I forgot I was going to tell you how to put a link in one word. First go to the site you want to link. Then highlight and copy the address in the address bar at the top. Then when you are posting type the "one word (or more)" you want to use, then highlight it. Now look at the top of your box where you are typing your post. There is a little box with a green circle with something that looks like a paper clip laying on top of it. Click on that and then paste the link there. Click OK All done.

Calley said...

Oh- Thanks! I have been wondering about that! :D Can't wait to give it a try! LOL

Amber said...

I'm glad y'all are enjoying Sonlight so much. We're about to have to upgrade our curriculum because Irie is FLYING through just about everything at this point (we've been doing school nearly all summer). I don't know that I can swallow the cost of Sonlight, but we'll be looking for more of a "complete curriculum" next go around. I really like the looks of CLE. I dunno- we'll see soon enough.

Avery's Mommy said...

That schooling looks like fun, but I know it is hard work too. You are such an amazing mom! And for the first time ever I am now really considering what birth control (my IUD) could be doing to me. I actually laid awake in bed thinking about it for a while the night I read your post (and Mal's). It's really hard to know what to do because I get pregnant very easily (once while i was ON birth control) and I know that if I get pregnant it is very likely the baby could die or be born much too early. Decisions, decisions. Thanks for the post though :)