Saturday, January 23, 2010

Birth Doula Class


I decided a few months back to finally take the plunge and sign up for a birth doula course. I had not been able to before, because they are generally very expensive and I wondered how I would be able to fit it into my life right now. I have been praying about this for about a year now. To make a long story short, everything finally fell into place. I got a scholarship for a doula course that is primarily done online, with some apprenticeship involved. My mom paid for most of the rest for my Christmas present. I began the class a little over a week ago. So far, so good. I have to say I have been very nervous to be in school. There is a lot of reading for me to do each day. I have to write a lot of essays, watch many videos, and write several different kinds of papers on the work of a doula. The first few days were very intimidating- as most birth doula courses are a work at your own pace, type set-up. That is usually helpful for a mom because she can work on her assignments over a long period of time. This course is all smashed into 6 weeks. It has been pretty much like a college class, in that there is work to be done every day. Things have gone smoothly so far, though. I am actually thankful for the 6 week schedule. That helps me keep this all in perspective- I will have this behind me before too long!
At this point in my life, I probably won't be able to attend more than one birth a month. Nonetheless, I am so excited to be able to support laboring women! There is such a need for this in our area! I have also actually been asked (after my certification is complete) to teach chilbirth classes at a Crisis Pregnancy Center that is soon to be opened in Ferriday. I know that God is putting this all together. I feel humbled to be able to minister to women during the miracle of childbirth!

9 comments:

Penny said...

Yay! I am SO happy and excited for you! Maybe I can take pictures for some of these if they want that. Just hope they're tough like you and none of them are screamers. =)

Mallory said...

thanks SO much for the sweet encouragment!!! i am at such a "scary" place right now in trying to make a big decision that will be a permanent and life-altering one. even though it's something i've wanted forever, it's still scary taking the plunge, lol. i know that everything in my life has fallen into place only because of God, and i am really trying to let everything go and trust that He will work out the details. it helps to know that no matter what i will always have daniel there for support, he is TRULY my better half =)

Amber said...

I feel ya on the doula work. I am dreading the HUGE paper I have to write soon (estimated to take several weeks... eek!). How exciting about teaching childbirth classes! You'll be good at that. One thing I, personally, dreaded about being involved with Birth Works was teaching those classes to paying couples. But I'm just not one to talk in front of strangers.

Mandy said...

This is great! What program are you using?

This is something that I want to eventually do as well. Where I am, the closest doula is 2.5 hours away and goodness knows that women delivering in this hospital need some sort of support.

Calley said...

I wrote on your blog, Mandy. The closest doula to us is like 1 1/2 hrs away, too!

Cristi said...

So excited for you.

Mallory said...

i wrote you a comment to your comment on my blog =)

Cristi said...

I saw your cards at Picket Fence! When are you gonna use your skills?

Avery's Mommy said...

That is so great and you will be PERFECT for it. Maybe I'll even get brave enough for a water birth. As long as I can get an epi ;)

PS - I also read the other post and if I made a list of lazy people I know you would NEVER make the cut. Great to continually improve but you are too hard on yourself!