Thursday, September 30, 2010

Broad Place

Let me begin by saying that I believe God STILL speaks to mankind. Yes, He uses His word, but he still flat out SPEAKS, as well. There have been times when I know God has spoken to me through another person, through His Word, and through a circumstance. Although it has not been as frequent, (could have a lot to do with my own distractions) there have been times when I know the Lord just directly spoke to me by His Spirit. The following is one of those times- it is a personal testimony of what the 'Broad Place' means to me.

I called to the Lord in my distress; The Lord answered me and set me in a broad place. Psalm 118:5

When I was a teenager, after God had given me such a refreshing start, I knew he began leading me to lay some things down, as I had mentioned previously. One of those things was dating. I knew that the Lord wanted me to focus soley on him, rather than find myself wrapped up in emotion and start marriage, eventually, with immense baggage. Although that was something that was very difficult- I couldn't deny His leading. The following years, while I didn't date anyone, I found it extremely difficult to focus. It was hard to keep my brain fixed ahead, when so many people were engrossed in relationships all around me. I spent my time hanging out with friends in groups, and friends who encouraged me in that commitment.

By the time I went to college, (briefly) I was pretty discontent in my waiting. After all, I might have signed up as a voice major and been "focusing" on opera, but who was I kidding? I went to college to get my MRS degree. Things weren't panning out as quickly as I had hoped, though, and I was feeling rather alone in my singleness. I never stayed at school on the weekends. One weekend, however, I decided to stay and see exactly what all of the excitement was about. Sure enough, I quickly understood why I liked going home so much every weekend. The dorm halls were empty. I sat in the dorm room flipping channels and wondering why cinder block was ever thought to be a cozy solution for living quarters. Anyway, after a while I decided to go to the campus coffee shop and just sit down and read; Maybe do some writing. I began to write about my loneliness. I began to write- but then God began to speak to me.


I was walking down a path, and all the while there was this beautiful music playing. I never could stop and enjoy it though, because I was so anxious to get to the end of the path and see what was to come. I could feel the Holy Spirit urging me to take my time- but no- I had to get to the end. I needed to see what was ahead.

In my anxiousness and frustration, Jesus came and took me by the hand. He led me down the path, that opened up into the most indescribably breathtaking view I have ever seen. We stood on a grassy ledge,  that overlooked splendor. There below was a luscious fertile valley that had many rivers flowing into it from the surrounding mountains. The mountains themselves were huge rocky, snow capped giants that lined the view, making it to be as a basin holding completeness. And that's what it was. His perfect desires for my tomorrow-so complete. His days ordained for me in His book before one of them had come to be- all contained as a perfect reflection of His love. The sun was just beginning to rise in the distance, casting bright beams upon every glassy lake below.

Why? I could pause there forever and dwell on my Lord- and why on earth he would reach out to this mortal foul up just to bring peace to my soul that one impatient night. I don't know why, but I am forever grateful He did.

Jesus spoke to me and told me not to be so anxious to jump off of the cliff into tomorrow. He told me that there would never be another point in life where I would be able to look ahead and observe the things to come. Jesus whispered His love to me- that I should stay right there with Him- and know Him while I waited.

After that night, I had several months of contentment like I had never had before. I was starving for the word of God- anxious only for His Spirit. It wasn't long until God worked out all of the details of bringing Danny and I together.

I have often thought about the vision God painted for me that night. I truly believe that broad place our family rests in is what I saw that lonely night in the campus coffee shop. Sometimes it feels like I can't hardly contain the blessings that God has so lavished on us. But more than that- recently the broad place came to mean much more than I had previously held it to.

A few weeks back, as Danny preached, the Lord began to speak to me about that broad place once again. As Danny was sharing from His heart, God reminded me of the last 8 years of sowing into people and lives. There were times that it seemed easy, and others when it seemed like nothing at all would get through. There were times in the plowing when the blisters on the knuckles stung, and the back ached. There were times we wondered if we were even where we should be, and what we were doing wrong.
But during Danny's sermon, I was so reassured by the Holy Spirit ringing to me:
It is time to begin the reaping. The harvest is here.

We have trully been seeing an outpouring of God in our church, and in our lives personally like we haven't seen since we were married. People are coming out of the woodwork asking to serve, and be involved in what is going on. Hearts are set on surrender and faith is rising up. There is something amazing taking place all around us- and it thrills me to no end.


That broad place is also a harvest of souls to be reached for the Kingdom of God! For after all, that is the fabric of life- Reaching out as the hands and feet of Jesus to see lives forever changed and eyes opened to the joy found in Christ! To see people dwelling in their own personal broad place- and desiring themselves to reach out to a world starving for peace and truth. Let it begin, my Lord. Let it begin.

4 comments:

Donna said...

That is an inspiring post!

Penny said...

Beautifully written, as always. :)

Avery's Mommy said...

THis reminds me of the Travis cottrell song "do it Lord do it Lord!" Donna was right this was so inspirational! So many times we are waiting for something - a better job, a better house, etc. that we miss the drawing near to God and rejoicing exactly where He has us!

Toyin O. said...

Amen;there is no better place to than in the Potter's hand and will. Great Post.

http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com/