Sunday, March 27, 2011

Josiah "Toothless"

We are about 6 weeks-ish from being through with our structured schooling for the year. Josiah is almost through with second grade, and Isaac is almost through with Kindergarten. I am so happy with the progress I have seen in them this year. Isaac is now reading simple stories, and writing as well. Josiah has read many chapter books and is working on multiplication now.
I use the My Father's World kindergarten curriculum. I have loved it for our first two youngins and don't for-see changing that. They have both enjoyed learning, and have picked up on basic reading with it pretty easily. It is packed with ideas for hands on activities, and built on a weekly theme and letter. I have now used Sonlight for the last two years  (Josiah's 1st and 2nd grade), and also don't see that changing. It has been incredible. I absolutaly love the books, novels, and method used. I cannot imagine learning being more fun. Really. The History is by far my favorite. I have fallen in love with A Child's History of the World by Virgil Hillyer. Who says little kids cannot understand and handle history and details of the beliefs, wars, and struggles of mankind from creation on? This book, along with The Usborne Book of World History have kept Josiah and I on the edge of our seats. There is so much History that I had never even heard about. I was an attentive student in school, yet there are so many things about World History I should have learned and never did. Nonetheless, I get the joy of learning it now with my son.
I'm thinking of creating my own little notebook of summer activites. It will include science experiments, ideas that will spark reading, writing and research, math, and art projects. I want to keep our learning fun going on and having a plan always helps me! It will be totally relaxed, though, and will give us something to work on each week when we're not working on picking veggis (would really like to be more hands-on there this summer) or chill-axing in the pool.


The following pics are of our recent garage sales:


This is my mother in law, Mrs. Betty, and I. She has helped us immensely in our adoption fund raising efforts. She is such an encouragement to me, and what I like to call a "GO-GETTER". She is full of ideas, and lives a life of faith and servanthood that is an inspiration to me!

Josiah lost his top two teeth! He thought losing those two teeth was the coolest thing!
 He has become quite the clown lately. :)

He is my little artist. He made this bracelet the other day.

I've been making a few new aprons. I am working on restocking my etsy shop.

My sis-in law, Beth, and I at Chili's


Friday night a group of ladies from my church went to a women's conference, and we had the best time. I could go on and on about the message, and about the things that God really hit me with. I will come back to that soon...

Adoption Update:
Our dossier is now being translated in Peru.
We are praying and believing for that thing to be finished and approved quickly!


5 comments:

Grubbs said...

Good to hear an update!! Talk to you soon!! :)

Penny said...

You said you were deleting that awful picture. Yuck! lol
Josiah showed me his bracelet Friday~ too sweet.
I hated learning history until I had Jim Wiggins at Co-Lin~ then I loved it. :)

Cristi said...

I am not too fond of that picture either but the one of you and Beth is amazing! And I love the one of you reading to Josiah!

Tyler & Brenda said...

Love your aprons Calley!

It must be the week for losing teeth, our Myah lost two the other day.
Brenda

Calley said...

Cristi and Penny- Man- I did NOT take enough pics on friday night! I thought I at least got one of everyone. Nope. :( Maybe I'll be more alert about that next time!
Brenda: Thanks! I guess so! Josiah had hoped to lose his two front teeth by Christmas, but they just weren't ready! ;) This is the second time we have pulled two teeth in one day! LOL The first time was an accident on my part. I didn't realize the one next to the one I was pulling was so loose. It popped right out at the same time. Talk about scary to look in my hand and see two teeth!