Saturday, June 11, 2011

Weeks 2 and 3- REPTILES

Well, we ended up extending our 1 week on Reptiles because we simply didn't learn much the first week! I'm not sure we ended up learning a ton on Reptiles during the second week either- but we did get to do some fun activities and read several books on the topic. Some books we enjoyed from the library were, "Alligators and Crocodiles" by Laurence Pringle, "Gator Gumbo" by Candace Fleming,  and one that Amaus especially enjoyed, "Iguana Ike, The Truth Is What I Like," by Cindy G. Foust. (A little side not here: In an earlier post I had mentioned the book series, "Hank the Cow Dog". We had read 1 chapter of it and I thought we were going to enjoy  it. Turns out- I did not end up enjoying it so much. Just a little too crude. We won't be reading any more of those. : /)

Because of flood waters still being up very high in an area we call "Old River" which is where the Mississippi river used to run- we were able to go there and find tons of alligators! We took lots of pictures, but it was late evening and they just didn't turn out that great!

So over the last two weeks we made a swirly construction paper snake, and some rather interesting dryer lint clay. Yeah- I found the recipe, we tried it.  It was pretty disgusting, and I won't bother sharing the recipe. Let's just say even my sons, who seem "un-gross-outable", were even sicked out by it. They still shaped the clay into an iguana and an alligator. This project somehow reminded me of digging through owl poop in 6th grade to find what type animals owls eat. I still haven't gotten over that ;). If their creations turn out any better once they're dry and painted, I might share pictures.
So here are the pictures from the last 2 weeks:





                                                            
                                                                    Dryer Lint Clay- huh?!


Swirly Snakes

                           
                                                              Dryer Lint  Iguana
Dryer Lint Alligator

Adoption News:
The report we were waiting on to be completed, was mailed to Peru on Thursday! We are praying that it is translated and approved quickly!!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Dryer lint clay? Interesting...

Calley said...

haha! Yeah! You haven't lived until you try it! ;)