Friday, July 8, 2011

Faith- The Substance of Things Hoped For

A few weeks back Danny preached on faith. He asked if we lived a life in which there is substance in our faith. A life that is lived to walk out faith will be a proof that that person fully believes what they are standing on. There is substance in faith.

Our family has full belief that the Lord has led us to adopt from Peru. We have received so many miracles along this road. We have received weekly confirmations. What was seemingly impossible for our family has become possible over and over again. We are not like most families pursuing adoption. It was a natural financial impossibility for us-but God has provided everything we have needed so far. At every turn we have been met by a miracle. Why would now be any different?

On Wednesday night, God burdened me to teach on believing His word. Believing the Word He has spoken- trusting His leading, etc. Earlier that week, I posted scriptures about believing God above our circumstances around our home. At church Wed night, I was in the library and saw the book, "Release the Power of Prayer"- George Muller. None of these things are just random happenings, my friends.

I happen to love the story of George Muller- and I wish everyone could read the book, "George Muller, Guardian of Bristol's Orphans". It's one of the most encouraging and challenging books I've ever read. This man lived a life of faith, praying for God to provide as he took care of eventually over 10,000 orphans without ever asking  for a single penny or bit of help from an outsider. He was poor, by the way. Some days they would have no food and no money. George would pray- trusting God to provide, and a milk wagon would break down out front, suddenly needing to lighten it's load. Somedays, a baker would show up with a hundred extra rolls. It is an amazing story.

Naturally speaking, our given age approval from Peru could mean a very, very, long wait for our family. I know people who have waited 2 years since their approval in Peru for this age range. Satan would love for us to begin to doubt God's leading. He would love to make us wallow in self pity until we missed  out on the joys God has already blessed us with. I recognize satan's attempts to destroy my faith in God's promise to me. Satan doesn't want our family to answer the cry of the orphan. Satan wants us to live as contented, selfish Americans who let go of the burning God himself placed within our hearts. We refuse to live a comfortable, faithless life. I had a good cry, and now we move forward with faith. We have positioned ourselves to be used by God- and there isn't a time in history when someone does that, and goes un-used. "For the Lord Jehovah will help me; therefore have I not been confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know I shall not be put to shame." Isaiah 50:7

This morning when I opened God's Word, I turned to a scripture I love in Daniel chapter 10, verse 12. Then he said to me, "Do not fear, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand, and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard; and I have come in response to those words." These were words from an angel to Daniel. He had been praying for weeks to hear an answer from God, and the angel goes on to explain the spiritual battle that had to take place for him to deliver the message to Daniel.

Our family alone; my husband, 2 older sons, and myself- cry out to God on behalf of our child no less than 15 times a day. At every meal one of my sons prays "Lord, please bring our sister in Peru home. Please protect her. Lord, may she honor you, serve you, and love you." Sometimes I lay, literally, on my face, and always in my heart, in deep prayer and desperation for God to open the doors that need to be opened to bring our child to us. We have an entire church and numerous friends who are fervently crying out to God on our child's  behalf. I meet people in wal-mart who are distant friends, and they tell me how their family prays every day for our child to be brought home. I have family (on all sides) who are praying fervently for God to direct us in this. I have online friends who have walked or are walking through adoption, that are praying for us. I have a friend who teaches a girl's Bible study that prays for our child every week! GOD IS HEARING THESE CRIES. GOD IS HEARING THESE CRIES!! An answer is coming in His time. Until then, we will walk in faith, "Letting the Word of Christ dwell in us richly" until we are matched with our child. God has called us to wait in victory!

In the process of God, He will bring us to opposition and trial. So many times we come to a point- but don't get through it. I refuse to spend my life praying for greater faith- and shrinking back at the opportunity. I refuse to be discouraged because the Lord Jehovah, the Great I Am, is my helper. We are following His plans for us. He is with us. I will not be afraid.

We will continue with preparations on our home and our hearts, anticipating our travel to Peru coming at any time...

3 comments:

Penny said...

I know you are disappointed in maybe having a longer wait~ we are disappointed for y'all.
I'm hoping that you get your other grant and that as soon as it is approved, "she" will be available. The younger age may be the best thing for y'all. Like someone said about your news, "God is not surprised." I do know one thing~ SHE is going to be worth the wait~ I'm sure of that! :)

Paige said...

There are so many instances of women waiting for their children in the Bible: Sarah, Hannah, Rebecca... Such good examples of how to wait...and maybe how NOT to wait. This one thing I know. God has given you the desire to adopt, He has provided the money needed to bring her home, HE WILL DO IT. Have faith sweet friend, lean on Him, because His arms are waiting for you to fall into.

Amber said...

Don't give up- it WILL happen! Believe God.