That's just it. I'm too distracted by waiting to distract myself from waiting. Sounds nuts, but it's so true. There are plenty of things I could be doing right now. Plenty of things that would make our life and transition when we return home much easier and less stressful. I have made so, so many lists. I usually get a few of the things on my lists complete. Things that I wish I could find the gumption to complete:
* Clean out the disastrous laundry room. It is full of cans of paint, tools and things that could be better stored in Danny's shop. If all of those things were relocated. I'd be a happy camper.
* Cook and freeze some meals to have when we get home
* Get the yard (very muddy, and partially flooded Louisiana yard) spick and span. Oh. That would be marvelous. Part of the reason for our messy yard is the extrememly messy weather we've had lately. I have named the boys' tree house, "Clubhouse Island", because it has been completely surrounded by water. The ducks love to go swim around the treehouse. On a couple of warm days- the tree house slide has doubled as a mud-pit water slide. Nothing like rocketing down a 15 foot slide into a mud pit of water. Good times.
I have seriously gotten to a point where even if the house were a serious wreck, and I got a call that we could leave...we would simply throw all of the junk in a laundry basket, and grab our suitcases with happy, contented grins.
I've been making these, "Before we leave for Peru" lists for over a year, by the way. I have completed several. The closets have been cleaned out no less than three times. They're messy again. The cabinants and pantry have been organized to a T, two times. They are back in a state of disorder. I really, really do not care so much. It's very freeing actually, for someone who can get OCD about making sure everything is completed.
A strange fact about me: I think about time in relation to my household products. It's hilarious. I think I've been doing this for a long time, actually. When I know a big road trip is coming up soon, and I go buy shampoo- I am thinking the whole time..."By the time I finish this bottle of shampoo, we will be on our way to CALIFORNIA. WOO-HOO!"
I look at my tube of toothpaste and reason, "Surely I will be in labor by the time I get to the bottom of this tube. Not so far away really."
So for some time, my 'Household product/Wait-O-Meter', has been pretty off. I've been through three containers of laundry detergent, and I'm still telling myself, "By the time you get through this laundry detergent- you'll be on your way to PERU! Ahh-eee!"
Kind of a strange way to think about things, I suppose. I tend to always stick to the optomistic side of things when it comes to waits. When someone tells me to expect the worse possible scenario, and just be surprised if something better happens, that always goes in one ear and out the other. I don't operate like that. At all. I would live in a constant state of depression if I always expected the worst outcome, and the longest wait. Even though the worst case scenario may be what actually occurs- I live in a much better state to have expected that the very best case scenario was on the verge of happening the entire time. When I read in our agency papers that Peruvian adoption typically took 18-24 months, I laughed and assured myself that we'd be bringing our child home in a year. Yes. I was disappointed when a year came and went- but I quickly got over it, and set my sights for a new optomistic goal. After all, by then one year was already behind us!
Anyhoo, maybe the next time I buy shampoo, laundry detergent, and deoderant...it will actually be to put in my bags! :)) Probably will. I'm just about sure of it. ;)
Wednesday we did go and get those final, beloved CIS fingerprints done. They were sent to CIS, and we should hear something back anytme now. Sometimes CIS officers will email the family, or the agency and let them know when they are issuing an approval. Sometimes they'll just put the paper in the mail. I really hope they email.
We are hanging in there with smiles. The important things that need to be done, are accomplished. Rooms are ready. Bags are packed. The weather is beautiful here today. The kids have finished their schooling early and they are enjoying romping around with their cousin Micah. The barefoot little clan is out exploring and catching turtles. The windows are open, and there is a sunshiny breeze. Things are good, and good things are on the way! I can feel it in my Spirit, and plus, my bottle of body wash is just about empty. ;)

3 comments:
Oh that is too funny! About the shampoo and stuff. I know it'll be any day now. Can't WAIT to meet her!
praying it is SOON! hopefully the approval is in the mail and you book those tickets.
I'm with Casey! You are hilarious! :)
PS Buy smaller bottles of shampoo and bodywash next time you're counting down to something BIG! ;)
Post a Comment