Friday, April 6, 2012

The Big Picture

Disclaimer: If you've been visiting my blog lately and noticed tons of errors or typos! Forgive me! I usually have to write in a rush late at night, and/or the Internet is cutting in and out. Thanks for bearing with my Peru writing!



This morning we were a little exhausted because was up screaming with an ear infection last night. He was burning up with fever. I felt horrible for him. This morning after breakfast I went to the hotel lobby to ask the morning clerk, who can speak English to some extent, if a pediatrician would be willing to call in some antibiotics. Amaus has only been on antibiotics one other time- but i new my poor guy was in severe pain. She said she would call an English speaking pediatrician and ask.
A funny aside here: I'm thinking this particular clerk at the hotel doesn't understand my questions very often. For instance, twice I asked her about the butterfly garden and some of the other tours. I was simply inquiring about the cost. Well, both times she called the tour guide and had him waiting in the lobby for us! Lol Poor guy! I was only wanting to check for another day... Ooops!

So the same thing happened today with the doctor. Rather than asking about the antibiotics, the next thing I'm told is that the doctor would be to our apartment in 20 minutes! Ha! Okie dokie then!

The doctor carried the old school doc bag. He listened to Amaus, and looked in his ears and throat, which both were swollen and infected. He prescribed him a decongestant and some antibiotics- both drugs I was familiar with... Which made me feel more comfortable with the uneasiness of seeing an MD in a country we aren't familiar with. (Even if that is an unnecessary uneasiness!)

Anyway, Amaus has pretty much still run fever today, but he is doing better, and finally sleeping like a baby tonight. I'm so thankful.

Josiah and Isaac went with Danny to the grocery store this morning. We had lunch and the littles had naps.

Our friends Trent and Shawn invited us to come to visit at their home in the late afternoon- and we were thrilled to get out!



They are the most incredible people! The work they are doing here in Iquitos blows my mind, and challenges me to no end. Shawn grew up here in Iquitos where her parents were missionaries. She met Trent when he came on a short term mission trip. They were married shortly after, and lived in the states for a while. They moved back to Iquitos two years ago, and it is astounding what the Lord is doing through their entire family. They have six biological kids, and three that they have taken in off of the streets.



They primarily minister to the homeless, street kids, addicts, and prostitutes of Iquitos. They have set up a home for guys (mainly men) who are desiring to change their lives and/or want to be delivered of a drug and alcohol addictions. They are seeing so many guy's lives flipped upside down.

We were able to go and see The Safe House and meet many guys. Right now the house is holding 34-35 guys. They completely take care of these guys for somewhere around $450 a week! (That's another faith testimony in itself!) They told us story after story of the different men who they found sleeping on the sidewalk, or who were left on their door step because they were almost dead- and how God has brought about their healing and set their feet in a secure place. Many of them are now leading others!

Some pics of The Safe House, and it's gardens and kitchen:













We were then able to walk down to another place they are renting, which is going to be a safe house for women and their children. Prostitution is a huge problem in Iquitos. So many women are forced into this lifestyle, either because they were left by a man and with children they cannot feed, or also because of drug addiction. So many of these women want far, far away from this lifestyle, and Trent and Shawn are working to make that possible. They are housing one woman and her children, and helping her to get on her feet and earn an income.

There are also lots of child prostitutes in Iquitos. The stories are simply heartbreaking. Children are abandoned, or kicked out because a new man moves in with the mom, and they are no longer wanted. Trent and Shawn have worked with young girls whose step fathers, or mothers have sold them as prostitutes to provide for the family.

They work with many young boys/ teenage boys who were abandoned as kids and end up becoming male prostitutes so they don't starve. They personally work with and know and love several guys who they have helped off of the street who began this as kids. Sadly, pedophiles travel to Iquitos mainly from the US, Australia, and Europe solely for this purpose. A blind eye is turned to this huge problem here, by the government.

Most of these kids become addicted to cocaine at around age ten, because it can be purchased on the street for thirty US cents. This contributes to the prostitution.

Trent and Shawn, along with a team of other believers go out on the streets one night a week to simply love these broken and destitute people. The day market place tables are turned into a drug market at night, and they go around these people to show them there is a better way to live. That there is hope. They go to the plaza where all of the prostitutes wait, and the show them the live of Jesus. Early on Wednesday morning, they go where all of the street kids and addicts are sleeping on the streets and wake them up to feed them breakfast. They are seeing people set free- one by one. What a miracle.

I am praying about what I can do to help this ministry here. Trent and Shawn are praying for the ability to build this women's home on land the church already owns, rather than having to continue to rent. They are praying for the funds to build a boys home to begin to get the multitudes of young boys off of the streets.

There is so much to be done...But it is spectacular to see for yourself what a few surrendered people can do for the kingdom of God. There are no limits to what the Spirit of God can do, when people surrender themselves and allow Him to move.

While at Trent and Shawn's home, I was able to meet a few interns who are working with them for a few months. One of them decided to come serve in Iquitos because her sister was adopted from here. Another boy was adopted from Iquitos himself!

When I hear all of the stories of what is going on here, and when I see all of the faces of these people, I am reminded of the fate of so many of these kids who aren't adopted.

Lord- move here in Iquitos to bring the hope and healing only YOU can. Nothing is too hard for you!




2 comments:

Penny said...

I sometimes worry that I am becoming desensitized to the atrocities of this world, then I read something like this. It always shocks me when mothers/fathers/stepfathers are willing to sell/pimp out their children. I know it even happens here~ we've witnessed it with one of our youths. But it still catches me off guard. I can't imagine how something like that feels~ to the child. Your new friends are such a blessing! I'm sure our church is able to add one more mission to our support list. Talk to Beaux. :)
I'm glad Amaus is feeling better. :)
Still can't wait for you to get home! I dreamed about meeting Camila last night~ she was so close I could count her eyelashes. ;)

Paige said...

This is also the sad fate for many children who age out of the orphanages. There is no hope for them, unless others come along side and show them THE WAY. It is beautiful to see those bringing the Good News to those others have turned a blind eye to. Thank you for sharing. You are seeing the real Peru...broken, destitute, without voice, desperate for hope. Only through Jesus will there ever be change.