Thursday, April 26, 2012
Five Weeks in Peru/ I've Learned
1. Words are important. Very important. If you aren't certain of the Spanish word, you're better off sticking with what you do know.
Let's just say, hypothetically speaking of course, that you visit a certain city in the jungle. Well, okay, just for sake of this completely hypothetical story, let's say, hmmmm...Iquitos, Peru. And let's say before you go, some friends tell you that you must try a special fruit juice smoothie famous from this jungle city.
And so, let's just SAY you go to a restaurant and decide to ask for this special fruit juice smoothie, but you suddenly cannot remember it's name. You only remember that it is two words that begin with 'C'. So just for the sake of this made up example, let's say you first try, "Cachi-Cachi" and get a puzzled look from the waiter. (For those friends of mine who speak Spanish, if this actually is something, and something not so good...well just save me the embarrassment, of ahem, using it in this solely made up example.)
So next you try a more simple word. The other one felt like too many syllables.
"Ca-Ca. Yes. That was it. A ca-ca smoothie," you tell the waiter. And then you get an even more confused and slightly humiliating stare from the waiter.
Save yourself the trouble! If you cannot remember the name of the fruit, 'Kamu-Kamu" which is very delicious, by the way- don't try! I've just heard this is really good advice for those traveling to Spanish speaking, jungle cities.
Also, if you're staying with an extremely nice family and you ask them where your daughter's cup is, and you say,
"Donde esta Camila's beso?"
They are really going to wonder why you're telling them:
"Where is Camila's kiss?" Its just plain weird to ask people to kiss your child.
The right word is 'vaso'. It's just a good idea to get this straight.
2. Just because people honk every time they pass the place you're staying, doesn't mean the people living there are the most popular people in the whole city. No. This is not like Foules, Louisiana where people honk every time they pass a neighbor's house to bid them hello. It's a metropolis. They do this because they don't want to stop at an intersection and so they honk before getting to it to let other cars know to watch out.
3. 'Perdon' is the proper way to say, 'Excuse me', but very few people say it. Not because they're rude, only, you're passing tons of people on the streets constantly and you can't possibly say 'perdon' every time you slightly brush past someone. You're throat will get very dry. Take my word for it. No one will be offended it you don't say it. Again, this isn't small town USA.
4. Don't be scared when strangers stop you on the street to "pet" your blonde headed and red headed children. Yes, like a puppy. In remote areas they very rarely see gringo kids, and seem perplexed by them. Gringos who travel to the jungle areas rarely bring their 'gringlets'.
5. Gringo is not meant as an insult in Peru. If you're white, it's what you are. It's all good.
6. Always walk away at the first price you're given at a market. You're a gringo, and will naturally be thought of as wealthy or unfamiliar with the typical price. As you walk away, the price gets astoundingly lower and lower.
7. There are large plastic, woven totes for sale everywhere. They come in a variety of plaid and houndstooth prints. Tweety bird! Also tweety bird! They might come from China, and who knows what chemicals they contain, but they're incredible! They'd probably hold an entire weight lifting set. I want to bring home a suitcase full of these things for grocery shopping, yard work, eh...hauling gravel. Not really on the last one, but it seriously looks like people could carry their entire house down the street in one of these things, and do! And the straps don't break, people! It's just nuts. I have big, big plans for my plastic woven bags!!
(If you can't get a moto taxi, get a large plastic tote. It's bound to carry anything, just like a moto taxi.)
8. If you're a 6 ft tall woman who wears a size 11 shoe, please don't bother looking for shoes. People think you're a side show freak when you break out size 11 'boats' and ask for help. They might beckon their friends to gather around in awe. It might not feel too nice.
9. The food is uh-maz-ing. I don't think I can stress that enough. Danny lost 10 pounds while here, eating so much fresh food. Well, come to think of it, it could have been his stomach issues. Ha! But I've also lost some weight with only a brief stomach issue. We have been eating pretty good sized meals, too. We have eaten white rice, bread and potatoes. I really believe there is something to staying away from processed food, even if you're still eating lots of starches. I've got to learn to cook some Peruvian meals!
10. I love Peru. I truly believe these are some of the most beautiful people in the world. I'll never be the same. I can't, after seeing so many wonderful and heart breaking extremes of life. There are great needs but there are some great big hearts, full of hospitality and so willing to serve. The people of this country are very vibrant and joyful. I've learned so much from them. Peru is simply an astounding place that will always feel like a second home to me now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Vershal was cracking up reading this. Good post. We love you and are so looking forward to seeing you soon.
Just now reading this one~ love it! I'm laughing trying to picture Isaac tolerating being "petted." LOL
#10- I've thought about that before~ how could not love the people and the place that gave you your daughter? :) I've always thought I would adopt and think there's no way I wouldn't want to love the birthmother. Seriously, how could you not want to love someone for a gift that awesome?! (guess it depends on if she did it out of her love for the child.) Anyway, enough serious stuff. ;) See you in the morning~ I hope~ if you feel Camila's up to it. :)
Post a Comment