
Today I spent most of the morning washing dirty clothes. I hated to send Danny and the boys home with dirty laundry. The Ardiles' have a roof top area where they have flowers growing, and also where their clotheslines are. It was actually very enjoyable.

Camila is learning to listen and learning borders a little more each day. We were told by the orphanage that she wouldn't listen or follow orders, as if she didn't comprehend. We are finding that that has not been the problem at all. I think, a combination of the crazy meds and being kept in a crib, caused her to just take off running aimlessly every time she was allowed out of the crib.
When we tell her to come to us, she either turns around and comes, or turns around and smiles and runs even faster. That's because she wants us to chase her and she thinks it's a game. She definitely understands! It has been a constant job to begin to teach her that she cannot take off running anywhere she wants to, but each day we see progress. Basically, either Danny or I one have to follow her around, find a confined space, or stand guard at open entrances at all times.
However, this morning we were allowed a little more rest and even though there were open entrances, Camila preferred to pretend to help me hang up clothes right by my side. That was nice.
Everything is a new experience for Camila. She does not know things are hot or dangerous. She knows nothing of the dangers most children learn of by the time they are 18 months old. She ate in a sort of lunchroom, and doubtfully ever watched the food prepared. So when she saw me cooking in Iquitos, she would reach straight up to the stove! The blow dryer sends her hiding into a corner. The hand dryer in a public restroom will cause her to scream and cry. The air conditioner unit was the most amazing contraption in our hotel in Iquitos, to Camila. (The orphanage didn't have air conditioner.) Everything is a brand new adventure to her. It is basically like teaching a three year old what a newborn begins learning with parents constantly by their side. She has a lot to learn, and we are finding out more each day, that so do we. I'm so grateful that His grace is sufficient for anything and everything.
After nap time, we walked down to the park again. After we were there, Isaac was swinging and Camila darted for the swing. This is the second time she has sprinted toward someone swinging really fast and hard. I was right at her heels, but not fast enough. Isaac tried to stop the swing but was going too fast and high. He hit her right in the mouth and she flipped backward. It was awful. Her lip was busted pretty bad.
That's another thing. Camila very, very rarely cries when she is hurt. She can bump her head hard or trip and fall big time and she simply rubs it and gets up. She obviously wasn't used to being consoled after she was hurt. Even after this really bad kick, she only cried for a second and then got up and insisted on getting up and playing, although blood was still pouring from her lip. Now she will occasionally come to us after getting hurt to get us to hug her.
I tried to spend the afternoon focusing on the boys, and Danny focused on Camila, since the menfolk were to depart at night. I was able to hang out with Amaus and talk with them all a good bit this evening while we waited on the taxi to arrive to bring them to the airport. Josiah, Isaac, Amaus and I, had a good time scrolling through the photos from the very beginning of our trip and talking about all that we saw and did together while in Peru.



Tears were abundant as we all said our goodbyes tonight. I will feel much better when I hear that they are all safe and sound at home in the morning. I know God has a reason for the extra week delay- and I am going to do my best to soak up all that He wants to teach me in this upcoming two weeks.










Thanks to all of you who are helping Danny in the next two weeks. Thank you for praying and supporting us through all of this. Our hearts are just overflowing with gratitude for your kindness to us. Thank you. <3
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
1 comment:
You all are amazing!I can't imagine how hard it was to send them off... I will be praying for you and Camila in Peru and your menfolk back at home.
Post a Comment