Thursday, May 17, 2012

Love Never Fails






Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part.
(1 Corinthians 13:1-9 NKJV)
Amaus loves the song Your Love Never Fails. He sings the phrase over and over that says, "Your love never fails, it never gives up, it never runs out on me..."
Have you ever thought about the simple truth that love never fails?

That love chapter in 1 Corinthians is a beautiful chapter that could be summed up to me as proving that love is an action; A choice to put others and their good above my own. You don't fall out of love, because essentially that just means deciding not to love anymore. Love is not the butterflies I get in my stomach when I think about Danny. Love really isn't the way I feel about lemon ice box pie, although I use the word there several times a year. It's the choice that I have each day to lay down my life for the sake of others, like Jesus laid down his life for me.




I Corinthians 13:8
Love never fails.
Every attempt I make to impact people and change situations outside of love will surely fail. Every word I speak in the supposed name of Jesus, without love is nothing more than noise. It will always fail.
If I raise my children outside of love, it will be a failure. If I respond to hard situations and people outside of love, I will have failing results.
But love never fails. When we go about life in the way of love, we get results. Even if someone treated us badly. Even if someone owes us money. Even if things don't go according to my plan...walking in love will bring about 'God' results every time. People will not always change (although with love many, many times they do). Circumstances might not turn around over night. But we can rest assured that God takes care of His children, and finds great pleasure in them walking out life in the way of love. It's rarely easy, and we as humans hardly ever want to sacrifice our own plans and hopes and timelines for the sake of others. It's uncomfortable, and can be hard work, but it's always worth it.




Love never fails.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen, sister! :)

Cristi said...

Beautiful post. You are living out your definition of love and I am honored to watch.