Sunday, May 13, 2012

Weekend Interrupted


My Saturday plans were changed when the storm clouds started gathering for a party above our house by mid morning. A pretty good storm blew over leaving my porch too wet to paint. In a couple of hours, the sun came out and it was good and dry. I got on my painting clothes just in time to witness another down pour.
Oh well. We moved on to other projects. Projects like snaggletooth cakes. What's a snaggletooth cake, you ask? That was the same thing my good friend Denae asked this evening when I offered her a piece. I explained to her that it was a family tradition we started with Josiah. I told her, "When one of our children loses their first tooth, I bake a cake that looks like them missing a tooth. I then hide the tooth in the cake. Whoever gets the piece with the tooth wins a goody!"
Haha! Yes. I really did tell her that, but I was kidding about the last part. Needless to say, she didn't want a piece. There are no hidden teeth in the snaggletooth cake. But that might be a way to really put a Louisiana mark on our family tradition.
The cake is simply a special way to commemorate our kids moving from little kid-dom to big kid-dom. Because let's face it; When you start losing teeth, you're just not a little tot anymore. Sniff-Sniff.
Isaac laughed his head off when he saw the finished product. I'm thinking it must be because of the striking resemblance!
"It's plumb funny for mama to make a cake that looks JUST like me!"
Yeah! I'm sure that's what he was thinking.




Three little gentlemen presented me with three sweet cards this morning. Josiah and Isaac went with Danny and hand picked their cards. Amaus saw them writing in the cards they picked, and he went and picked a Christmas card out of the stack on the china buffet. He got busy scribbling away.
Here they are!




This is the inside of Isaac's card.




So I'm a grandma now! Phew! The last few years really HAVE flown by!
(I thought that was so sweet and funny all at once!)


The weekend was good, even if my porch boards are still unpainted, and Miss Magnolia is still taking it easy in the pasture where she can't be milked. Hey! There's always next Saturday, I suppose. Maybe the storms aren't planning another fanciful shindig over my house and yard next weekend. At least I hope they're not. I can't spend another Saturday cooking and eating cake. :/

1 comment:

Penny said...

OMGoodness~ that boy! Hilarious! I think it's going to be up to you to teach them to actually read the cards they're buying~ not just look at the pretty pictures. LOL