Monday, May 14, 2012

A Simple Perspective

A post written by my step mother, Leslie, after she traveled with us to Peru to complete the adoption of our daughter Camila.





Leslie, loving on one of the sweet darlings at the orphanage


I remember as a child, Bible in hand, marching joyfully each week to my favorite part of going to church, GA's- Girls in Action. It was there that we youngsters would have our minds opened to all the wonderful stories about brave adventurous missionaries who would stop at nothing to spread the gospel. The underlying theme that went along with these fantastic stories was that others were “third world,” and we as the great United States had a responsibility to spread our knowledge of Christ and our wealth. “To Whom Much is Given...” So there began my subconscious idea that we as Americans were God blessed and privileged. True.

Then as a young adult, I was visiting a church in Mississippi where a friend had invited me to a revival. It was there that I had the opportunity to listen to a Nigerian preacher. I was prepared to listen to the “typical” stories of how the underprivileged were becoming privileged through God's love and grace. True. However, he made a statement that night that was imprinted in my brain that I will never forget. He absolutely changed my mindset of missions, third world countries, and America. He explained that every time he goes to a seemingly developed country to preach, the residents make a well-meaning statement: “Preacher, we are praying for you and your country.” He then has to hold back any negative comments because he knows these people mean well, but he simply tells them, “No,I am praying for you.” He knows something they don't. That because of his country's “underprivileged” state, those residents have become more and more dependent on Jesus, are more willing to listen and study God's word, and as a result, have become more and more spirit led. Something our great land needs to take note of. In all of our country's vast blessings and wealth and knowledge, we have become numb to the true power that is bestowed through our Lord Jesus Christ, and his desire for us to lead beautiful, simple lives. Third world countries that are allowing Christianity are experiencing this. Not real “third worldy,” huh?

This brings me to my present state in which I was able to go to Peru with Danny and Calley in order to get their adorable daughter, Camila. Wow, is she a doll! Before we left, I had preconceived ideas, as usual, as to what Iquitoes, Peru, would be like. And to my surprise, it was very similar to how I had imagined: Jungle. Hot. Humid. Plant and animal life, out of this world. Did I mention hot? Humid? Don't even think about a hairdo. (Much like our dear home of Louisiana in the summer). Only due to Iquitoes' location to the equator, it stays like this year round. So this is the setting to which God gave me a simple epiphany/lesson of sorts that I will, once again, carry with me to the end....


These beautiful Peruvian people of the jungle have no need for air conditioning or cars, for the most part. What little electricity they have often goes out and they think nothing of it. The torrential rains that they receive often do not affect them in the least. They just continue doing their daily routine. It's just a part of it. No complaining. (Ok, so if they did complain, it was in Espanol and I didn't comprehend). But their attitude seemed fine. Also, traffic. Iquitoes is a city full of thousands of people with motorcycles everywhere. And driving skill is not on the top of their “to do” list. But no one gave the famous finger or any other rude behavioral showing when wrecks almost occurred, which was often. Everyone just seemed to move on. Laid back at its best.

The most impressive aspect of Iquitoes was the overall feeling of community. In the evenings, “Por la Tardes...are you impressed with my Spanish?.....all of the townspeople would go outside to eat, visit, play...you name it. Sure it was mainly due to it being the only cool time of the day, but for whatever reason, the community was outside being a part of each other. Something we Americans have lost.
Danny told me that his father, Mr. Paul, blames American desocialization as being a result of air conditioning. No one hangs out on the porch anymore. We're all inside. Maybe so.

In closing, I am not America bashing. I still think we are a nation blessed by God. But there are a few simple lessons that we can take from people that live on necessity rather than luxury...where function is the rule, not aesthetics. It's ok to have pieced tin on the roof as long as it doesn't leak, and there are buckets for when it does. And I like the sound of torrential rain falling on the tin roof in the mornings. And ok, so it was a little weird for the man to bathe with rainwater outside on his porch, which was in my window's view of the hotel, but the people of Iquitoes have instilled in them a few things that all people should never be rid of: the love of community and taking the resources that are God-given for use. Simplicity seems to give much more room for the dependability on God. That's true beauty. That's why I loved Peru. And to think, this lesson coming from a “third word country....” Thessalonians 4:11
Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working, peaceable and occupied with your business, working with your hands.

-Leslie Harrell

2 comments:

Paige said...

Well said...I do love her heart!

Penny said...

Great job, Leslie! Love the insight that preacher gave you long ago. And the personal insight you gained on that trip! You are the best stepmom ever! :)