
When I was blessed with kids, I was blessed with a built in system to keep me humble. It's practically daily that I'm knocked off of my rocker or my plans are fizzled. I'm learning this is quite alright, if I'll just continue to trust the Lord through it. Sometimes that's my natural response, other times I'm kicking myself minutes after exploding over a ruined nap or some other thing that dissolved that probably really wasn't quite so important in the big scheme of things.
It's rather hilarious how my kids have, ahem, brought humility to me in public settings. It's God's way of making sure I keep my eyes on Him and realize it's certainly only Him helping me through my day to day.
Sort of like the other day when Danny dropped me off at the front entrance of Target with all four of our chillins. Camila sat happily in the buggy seat, and I begin the normal spill to the boys about staying behind me and not running around like a heard of buffaloes through the store. Before I can get the words out of my mouth, I realize I'm missing one trooper. I should have known. It's the youngest son, Amaus, who currently abides in a constant world of his own. He's already ahead of me.
I watch him as he walks right up to where he can see himself clearly in the security screen above us. He lunges over on one knee, puts one hand on his hip, and one hand he points to the sky. The position greatly resembles John Travolta in some kind of boogy -woogy fever dance. Right when his finger stretches up to maximum capacity, he hollers in what I would consider an amazing impersonation of some professional wrestler. I'm certain the volume reaches somewhere around 3000 decibels.
"YOU'RE A DOO DOO!!!!!!!!" He shouts it loudly, then he seems to examine his arm and leg to be sure they're still in proper form.
I'm not really sure what that is supposed to mean. I don't care what it's supposed to mean. He knows this word is one mama is tired of hearing. It seems to be one word that will not leave his mind.

He hardly seemed to notice that there were people watching, or that mama was coming up behind him to sit him firmly in the basket of the buggy. He hardly seemed to notice that his Aunt Grubby (Yes, the one affectionately called by this name) and her new baby were strolling away from us as if we were complete strangers.
It reminded me much of the time that I had to bring our two oldest sons to the doctor's office while they were about 6 months and 2 1/2 years old. My oldest son was literally licking the walls. I couldn't gain control for the life of me. I finally convinced Josiah to sit beside me in the one empty chair in the busy waiting room. There was a lady I knew rather well sitting on the other side of him. As Josiah sat down, he commenced to begin a rather peculiar conversation with me.
"Mama, let's throw Isaac in he garbage can!" (He's all smiles.)
"Josiah, don't dare say that!" I replied. (What else do you say?)
His stunning reply: "But that's what you said last night!!" (He's now grinning ear to ear, presumably proud of his made up tale.)
I begin to stutter....I'm astounded. Who knew that a two year old could already be an expert con artist? I've obviously never said anything remotely close to this statement, but it sure served as a great way to help mom keep her humility in public.
You just have to wonder, what could be in the future for our public comings and goings? I have a feeling there are some interesting things on the way. :)
4 comments:
I literally laughed out loud when reading this post! Oh the joys of motherhood...
HaHa! If it makes you feel any better, my kids are OBSESSED with "potty language" right now too! It is driving me crazy!
OMGoodness! "Licking the walls." LOL Josiah was always ahead verbally. ;) Leon comes up with that stuff, too. Like saying, "This buggy is hurting my vagina!!!" This was with his mom at Wal-Mart and yes, at two, he was still a little confused. lol
When Larry and I started dating, Mallory (6) told him all about her "poop being so big my PawPaw had to scoop it out of the toilet and throw it away." Seriously! And Sarah (2) walked up to his living room drapes and wiped her running nose! LOL Oh well, he can not saying he didn't know what he was getting into~ cause my kids were REAL! ;)
This gave me a good laugh tonight! You are going to have a blast in their teen years. Not bad but comical, they'll keep you laughing:) and I thought of you yesterday when the kids were frisked by strangers and kissed yesterday at the airport. I believed you when you said it would happen but just didn't expect it to happen 30 minutes after landing.
Post a Comment