Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pregnancy Nutrition and Other Musings

Disclaimer: This is a total girlie post... The males have been warned.

With most of my previous pregnancies I have been fairly aware of what I was eating and while I might have enjoyed one too many burgers, I also would eat plenty of veggies and drink lots of water, on top of walking throughout. (At least with the last two pregnancies...exercise was pretty much an epic fail during my pregnancy with Josiah.)

I started out this pregnancy determined to eat great from the beginning. Then...the really, really bad morning/afternoon/evening sickness took effect, and I have to say, I haven't lived up to my expectations so far. It is very difficult to prepare good, nutritious things when you can barely sit up. That's just the facts. There have been one too many quick fix meals lately in our home. When I have had a day of feeling swell, I have treated my nutrition much like I've treated my housekeeping.

"Wow! I feel good today!"

Then I dart at lightening speed to go scrub toilets and floors and anything I can while I am feeling good, because it will be neglected should I feel yucko later on. The toilets have been an amazing proof to me of the fallacy in the theory of evolution. Because, if evolution were a reality, surely the bacteria in our toilets would have began to communicate with us when we entered the bathroom, due to them morphing into a whole new life form by now. :) I'm totally kidding. But I have certainly been grateful for a feel good hour or day here and there to catch up on what normally isn't so difficult to stay on top of.

That's also how I do with nutrition lately.

"Wow! I feel good today!"

Then I determine myself to eat spinach and drink my red raspberry leaf tea with a smile, like any true natural mama would.

Unfortunately, I morph out of that really quick on the yucky days. Thankfully, I've been able to eat lots of good things (and have continued to exercise), but I've also put down a lot of needless bad things. The problem with this is...the bad eating probably isn't helping me feel better any faster, and I'm determined to get things on track now for a number of reasons.

For starters, it's good for the baby, and it's good for me. When I eat right, I feel good. When I feel good, I'm much more energetic, happy, and productive. That makes our house happier too- take my word for it.

Also, I'm determined not to gain a bunch of unnecessary weight that is of no benefit to me or the baby. Now, I'm all about eating what I need to to grow a healthy baby. I know how essential to so many aspects of pregnancy and birth that is...and I want to do this thing right. Period. But let's face it. I probably could sustain life in a growing baby for at least six months on fat stores already in my thighs! :D
Okay, I'm kidding. Sort of.

I weighed in at a little less than my pre-pregnancy weight (with Amaus) only three days before I found out I was pregnant, this time! Funny how those things pan out. I'm not obsessed with my weight like I probably was at one time, but I refuse to pack on weight that I know I will be spending three years trying to lose. It's pointless. It's not fun. It makes the Sonic Blasts seem like so much less fun.

I have nursed all my babies, but have never benefitted from the advertised perk of losing weight quickly due to breast feeding. Thankfully that had nothing to do with why I chose to breastfeed, because I would have raised the flag of surrender with bebito #1 in disappointment, had it been. (There are a gazillion reasons outside of that one vain one that make it incredibly worth it.) In fact, my brain tells my body to hang on to a good ten to fifteen pounds, because it evidently knows what big boys we have, and is thinking they will be needing those calories later. They never do. I get rid of those running/ walking countless miles on the treadmill and fasting from sugar, second helpings, and any food enjoyment whatsoever for approximately six months. I wish I was kidding this time.

So to make a long story short...I'm working on turning around the eating now at 11 weeks pregnant. Because feeling good, and eating right really do pay off. It's worth it.

Everyone is doing well here and enjoying summer. The boys have been having a ball running and playing, Camila has been the sweetest little darling while I haven't been feeling well. She will come and sit or lay beside me and let me rock her, read to her and tickle her. She absolutely loves to run and play with her toys. She is saying more and more every day, and is truly coming out of her shell in numerous ways. She is blossoming, and it's so beautiful to watch. We will be setting up some speech therapy and physical therapy for her in the next few weeks. I'm actually glad that we waited a bit to get that going, only because it has taken us this long to get her to understand and follow directions due to the language barrier, and her connecting with us. I think it will be easier for her to understand and work with therapists now, who can help her to gain some ground in those departments. I really cannot wait to see her progress in 6 months.







1 comment:

Penny said...

:) I remember being so paranoid with Mallory~ wouldn't even take a Tylenol for a headache, but took my pre-natals even though they made me puke. lol I threw up every day and only gained 19 with her~ back in regular sized pants in four weeks. With Sarah~ I had a sinus infection (or two), a bladder infection, and a kidney infection. So... I was on anti-biotics half the pregnancy~ I'm thinking that's why she was/is so healthy. ;) I didn't throw up with her, gaining 32 lbs and keeping 10. Didn't get sick with Shelbi either~ gained only 23 lbs, but kept another 10. Imagine, at that rate, if I decided to follow Michelle Duggar~ that'd be 200 extra pounds by #20. LOL Just goes to show you, though, that every pregnancy can be different and it is not a clue to the kid's sex. ;)