Thursday, August 2, 2012

For the Love of Cloth




Man, do I love cloth diapers! How I wish I had discovered them when Josiah was a baby. When Isaac was one, though, I started using cloth diapers and have never desired to look back. At the time, I asked an experienced cloth diapering mom what her favorite diapers were, and she said a brand called Mother Ease. I bought a set of Mother Ease nappies and they have been just as awesome as she claimed they were. They do not leak. Period. Not to mention that they have now held up to three kids and are still in great condition to be used for a fourth. :) When Amaus was one I bought a Fuzzi Bunz stash and they were also great! No problems for me with Fuzzi Bunz diapers!

We have pretty much been full time cloth diaperers since Isaac was a baby and when we had a baby in dipes. On a few rare occasions we would use disposables, but with a wet bag to go, it was never a problem for us to cloth diaper on road trips, vacations or visits out of town. We usually would have access to a washer and dryer and so it was not an issue! It saves so much money and really is not that much work! Danny installed an amazing squirter onto our toilet that's basically like a kitchen dish rinser (what is that thing called?!) for rinsing off diapers and that pretty much throws cloth diapering into the same level of easiness as disposables. After that, you just put the dipes in a diaper pail or bucket, and wash a load when you have one. Pretty simple, actually.

Thinking about having a new little love muffin baby to snuggle in four and a halfish months has me thinking on my cloth stash again. I'm thinking of adding some prefolds and some new all in ones to my stash. Yay cloth. :)

Quick Cloth 101:
Prefolds are the classic diaper used back in the day, only there are newer more padded and absorbent versions that work tremendously. They need a cover to be leak free. All-in-Ones are diapers that have the water proof cover attached, and work basically like a disposable diaper, except they're made of adorable colors and prints and close with snaps or Velcro. Fuzzi Bunz is a brand of All-in-One. Mother ease diapers are a type of diaper called a fitted diaper. They are made just like a disposable diaper, only there is a cloth diaper and then a separate water proof cover is required to wear over it.

I haven't been blogging much lately, and have really missed it. I've been consumed by the project I asked for prayer about months back. The project I hope to use to be able to raise the needed funds for a children/women's home to be built in Iquitos, Peru. I suppose there's no since in holding out on it any longer. I'm working on a book. It's a book about the way the Lord still leads and directs the lives of His people in miraculous ways to fulfill His purposes. It's about our adoption story. I'm in the reading and re-reading phase of working on the book. I'm not sure that I can call it editing yet. It's more like the, changing words and phrases and adding details that somehow got overlooked, phase. Next I'll begin correcting the many errors and recruiting some others to help me catch what I likely may have missed.

There are other things that I have to work on after that, but I'm seriously hoping to have a copy ready to begin doing a final polishing on by the end of September. We shall see. I'm completely through with the 'bones' of the book which has ended up being about 46,000 words. But I'm finding that as I add in necessary details where they were missed, it grows a little bit by bit. I suspect by the time I finish it should be around 50,000 words. My goal was 30,000, so I was pretty shocked when I realized how many words I already had. I would love it if you would join me in praying for this project.

Not too much new to report in Reedville. We (I, but I'm still sweet talking Danny...) hope to begin work on some of the organization/fixer upper projects I mentioned in my last post. I think Danny is going to build these cool triple bunks for the boys. Thanks Susannah, for sharing! He does seem pumped about this project anyway! (http://thehandmadedress.blogspot.com/2012/03/new-triple-bunks.html)


School is trucking on. Only four weeks until our beach trip. I'm 18 weeks pregnant and feeling good. The kids are doing terrific. Our sweet Camila blossoms more with the passing days. She really is an extremely joyful child and she trusts us with more and more of her spunky personality every day. What a privilege. :)

More photos to come in my next post!


1 comment:

Penny said...

Wish they'd had those kinds of diapers when mine were babies~ I had to use my brother's old cloth for Mallory~ not even pre-folded~ pins, plastic pants, scrubbing them in the commode. People looked at me like I was crazy and I seriously felt like a pioneer woman. ;) I gave up on cloth after Mal. Sarah wore disposable and I only used cloth when she had a rash. I honestly don't think Shelbi ever wore a cloth one~ and she was in diapers for 35 months. lol But I would SO do cloth now willingly. :)
Can't wait for the book! Want me to be a reader??? *ahem* lol
I love the bunkbeds! I agree totally with the last bit about Camila~ she is super sweet! I can't tell you how many times I recall our conversation about "getting" you a girl~ and feel another burst of AWE over the fact that God was already working on it when we were just talking. It still amazes me! :)