It was beginning to get dark outside, and just like the usual routine, Danny stuck his head outside and hollered for the kids to come inside for the evening. Three little boys and a couple of other playmates began dispersing to their own houses. Our sons came running through the yard from the pasture, their muddy feet soon reaching the porch. All of them had contented faces, except for one.
Danny asked the one with the long face, "What's the matter son?"
He immediately broke down.
"It's just that, this is the best day I've ever had playing with my friends, and I don't want it to end!!" Big crocodile tears followed his words.

He was incredibly sad for the most wonderful day he'd had playing and exploring, to come to a close. In his mind, the day couldn't have been more perfect, enjoying the company of his best friends and playing to his heart's content. I was sad for him.
I understood.
Isn't it a joy to know that everyday we have the privilege of walking with the Lord, basking in the presence of the Most High, can be the greatest day we've ever had?
I have seen an amazing reality at work lately (when I allow God to work). A truth that I had not discovered when I was so dependent on circumstances for my peace and joy. That even on the more challenging days in child rearing and life-in-general, the same opportunity presents itself for me to experience the best day I've ever had, right in the midst of it!

Strangely, there have been a few "doozy days" lately, and there has been such a peace at the end of the challenges that I can't help but declare those doozy days some of the greatest days I've had!
It's easy to base my contentedness on whether things are going my way or not. It's easy to ride the wave of my emotions, regardless of how bright or dim they become. It would be simple to go ahead and label my day as good or bad at the first glimpse of the sun, based on how much sleep I've had the night before. But my amount of sleep, how smoothly my day is going, or if I'm getting what I want...well, those things aren't the source of my joy.
When my joy is based on the knowledge that my Lord will never leave me nor forsake me, when my heart can rest in knowing that despite the trial or struggle, God is working out victory in my life...I can abide in joy, and even those days can be the best I've ever had.
I'm surely still learning. In the middle of complete chaos, when I feel myself on the verge of losing my cool, God is reminding me that those high pressure moments are so small and I can rest in Him and the joy of His presence, even there.
Last night, when Salem, who is not sleeping too well at night, woke up at 1AM, and was still up at 3AM, my mind began to wonder to the worries of the day ahead.
"I need more sleep than this!" I told myself. "How am I going to get going tomorrow?!"
But as I looked at my chubby little long-lashed babe as he kicked and grinned, and attempted to "coo" at me, even at 3AM, my heart melted in thankfulness. I could not ask for a better life. In an instant, my worry shifted to joy.

It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises to the Most High. It is good to proclaim your unfailing love in the morning, your faithfulness in the evening, accompanied by the ten-stringed harp and the melody of the lyre. You thrill me, Lord, with all you have done for me! I sing for joy because of what you have done.
(Psalms 92:1-4 NLT)

This morning, I proclaim God's unfailing love. I praise Him for His faithfulness throughout the day, and even through the evening! I have joy, for the life that God has given me. He has rescued me from the grave! I have reason to rejoice for eternity!
2 comments:
OH How I am struggling not to ride the wave of my emotions! And the funny part is, I keep doing it even though it's only stressful emotions these days! I am missing out on so much peace and joy, and only He can give it. This was encouraging... :)
I need to remember this hourly, especially at work when the mere stress of being a teacher turns into frustration with a child quickly. :( Thanks for sharing! :)
Post a Comment