Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Spring/Summer Skin Refresher




Months back, I found a recipe on Pinterest for a sugar body scrub and decided to give it a try. I've ended up changing the portions up a bit, and I cannot tell you how my skin has improved since using it!

You know those little annoying bumps that come up on the backs of your arms and legs? Well I've had those since I was a teen, and I've never been able to find anything to make them go away. I even went to the dermatologist about it once, and was told I needed to moisturize more. That never fixed the problem. But this sugar scrub has! Probably because it exfoliates and moisturizes. As long as I'm using it, the bumps vanish. After a week of not using it, they return. Weird.

One day I ran out of sugar scrub supplies, and I suppose I was feeling a tad lazy. I decided to buy some already made sugar scrub at Wal-Mart. This store-bought scrub didn't help my skin a bit. It really was pointless, and those pesky little bumps stayed put.

So once again I started making my own. I had to buy the essential oil when I was out of town. You can buy essential oil for a pretty reasonable price at Drug Emporium. You can also order it online. I went with a lemongrass oil, mostly because I have no real experience with essential oils and I could tell what my scrub would smell like, simply by sniffing the bottle. The other oils, I honestly couldn't make heads or tails of, because essential oils are so concentrated that you're not typically getting a good idea of the scent by sniffing the bottle. After doing a little reading, I think I am going to buy some different oil combinations next time I go out of town. (That's how we have to shop for un-typical items where I live! :) ) I am sure any kind of body oil would work, for fragrance, but essential oils have other benefits, so do your research.

So, I make the sugar scrub with olive oil, sugar, and essential oil.
I use:
*5 lb Sugar
*33.8 oz (1 liter) Olive Oil
*desired amount of essential oil



This recipe yields nearly 2 quart sized jars of sugar scrub, or 4 pints. I used a few empty jars I had on hand.

Here's to happy, smooth, spring and summer skin! Woo-Hoo!


2 comments:

labride said...

I will definitely have to make this! I've been replacing our cleaning products as we run out with natural cleaning...baking soda and vinegar are my best friends! So far I've changed out our mop solution, tub cleaner, and all purpose cleaner. Where did you find your essential oil out of town?

Calley said...

I buy it at Drug Emporium. They have a pretty good selection there!