
I recently finished teaching a 4 week series called, Living the Life. It focused on the victorious and abundant life that God has called us to live, and how to walk it out. Week 3 was called, The Fragrant Life. This post is a summary of that message.
...Have you ever wondered how to show the world Jesus? "How do I spread the knowledge of who Christ is in my day in day out living?"
Sometimes we complicate things that God has made very simple in His Word.
2 Corinthians 2:14-16 says this:
But thank God! He has made us His captives and continues to lead us along in Christ's triumphal procession. Now He uses us to spread the knowledge of Christ everywhere, like a sweet smelling perfume. Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God. But this fragrance is perceived differently by those who are being saved and by those who are perishing. To those who are perishing, we are a dreadful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved, we are a life giving perfume. And who is adequate for a task such as this?
FRAGRANT TO OTHERS:
"But thank God! He has made us His captives and continues to lead us along in Christ's triumphal procession. Now He uses us to spread the knowledge of Christ everywhere, like a sweet smelling perfume..."
God IS leading us to spread the knowledge of Christ. If we're following God, we'll recognize that leading. Are we following this leading? If we don't sense God leading us to show the world Christ, as God's children, than we've merely become dull to it. This is why we're here on the earth. To show the world Christ and to bring glory to the Father.
But HOW?
"...He has made us His captives and continues to lead us along in Christ's triumphal procession."
When I read this scripture, I picture Jesus leading His children in great pomp in a presentation or parade. A procession is, "a line or body of persons moving along in such a manner." Therefore, if we are following Jesus, He is leading us in a procession. He is leading us along in CHRIST'S TRIUMPHAL PROCESSION!
That means He is leading us along in a procession or line of triumph and victory. Some translations say, "But thanks to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ..."
Essentially, God is leading us in a procession of victory, and as the world sees this "line of triumph," we are spreading the knowledge of who Jesus is like a sweet smelling perfume!
As the world stands by, they are watching God's people. And as we as believers follow Christ, HE is always leading us to triumph! The world looks and wonders how people could walk through trials and hardships with such assurance. The world is baffled as God's children are continuing to follow Christ. Our culture is shown the glorious fragrance of Christ, because we are confident that God is ALWAYS leading us to triumph in Christ Jesus.
It's a pretty profound thought. As long as I'm following God, He is leading me to victory. I will not lose.
I love Proverbs 2:7-8. It says:
He holds success (some translations say 'victory') in store for the upright. He is a shield to those who's walk is blameless, for He guards the course of the just and protects the way of His faithful ones.
My circumstance may seem hopeless. Things may appear to be falling apart, but as I place one foot in front of the other in following God, I can be CONFIDENT that Jesus is bringing about the victory He promised. And not only that, but as the world watches these victories unfold, they see who Jesus is. They see the mighty DELIVERER working all things out for the good of His followers, and for His glory! We are spreading the fragrance of Christ everywhere we go, as we make the bold declaration with our lives, "I trust that God is leading me to victory! I follow Him."
And wasn't this who Jesus was? He endured the cross for the joy set before Him. He lived to glorify the Father, knowing the salvation that He was bringing to mankind. He trusted where the Father was leading Him.
FRAGRANT TO GOD:
So as we live this way, we are like Christ, who followed God, who was working victory.
2 Corinthians 2:15
"Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God."
What a beautiful thing. We are the sweet smell of Christ, to God, as we live in this manner of trusting and following from victory to victory. Apparently, when God sees His people marching forward trusting triumph that is eminent, through every hardship and storm, it is very pleasing to Him.
THE WORLD'S PERCEPTION OF OUR FRAGRANCE:
2 Corinthians 2:16
"To those who are perishing, we are a dreadful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved, we are a life giving perfume."
The world we live in won't always applaud our efforts of absolute trust and surrender to the God they internally know exists, yet deny. It is merely a reminder to them of the victory they aren't finding in their efforts of satisfying and fulfilling themselves, to no avail. But I've found, as we live and walk in love continuing to spread this fragrance of Christ, many people who once viewed us as a "smell of death" will later ask us how they can find the same life and peace we are now living in.
"...But to those who are being saved, we are a life giving perfume."
What an encouragement it is to see others walking in this line of triumph. I cannot express how excited I get to see my brothers and sisters in Christ, marching forward in trust that the great King of Kings is working out every issue in their lives. It spurns me on. It helps me, when I face similar struggles, to see them keeping on in faith. It is truly a life giving perfume to me!
What do we smell like to the world? Are we spreading the fragrant perfume of Christ wherever we go?
"And who is adequate for such a task?"
...There is no greater honor.
"May the fragrance of Christ abound in my life because I am learning to trust God's perfect leading, and I'm learning to rest in the assured victory God is bringing about in day in day out trials. May this world see Jesus!"
No comments:
Post a Comment