Saturday, June 1, 2013

A Letter to My Old Friend, Sleep


Sleep, Sleep, you were once my friend,
I'd greet you with giggles at daylight's end.
I'd lay down upon crisp, cotton sheets,
And wake up prepared to face any feat.
But I must admit, it's very much true,
I now love someone a lot more than you.
While I'm in mid-dream, perhaps traveling and dining,
This little someone awakens me with whining.
Like a mirage, my dreamland has fled.
I now need a spatula to scrape myself off the bed.
Dear Sleep, whether I'll know you again, it's difficult to say.
Maybe someday, when my hair is all gray.
So to all of society, if you pass me by,
Please overlook the bags underneath my eyes.
And if I'm dragging my feet, It's not that I'm lazy.
It's safer to walk like this, when your vision gets hazy.
But I'm happy to say, I'm not in despair.
It's with cheer that I lift my fourth cup of coffee in air!!
My lil' someone on my hip, full of smiles and glee,
I'll live without you Sleep, most happily.
For living this way, it just ain't for sissies.
But if I must, I'll keep trading you, Sleep, for more sweet baby kissies.





1 comment:

Penny said...

Lol. I remember those days! I didn't mind them with Mallory and Sarah so much. Mallory always woke up happy and Sarah only woke once or twice at night from day one, ate and right back to sleep. With three older ones, I looked forward to that one one one time with her. Not as fun with screaming, colicky, shelbi who did not sleep all night for.ever.... But I love her anyway. ;)