Monday, September 23, 2013

Moving!

I've been waiting to post about our family moving for a while! I've seriously been slacking on blogging because of the craziness of school, trying to sell a home, and buying a new one. Phew. 

Our family had been praying about buying a house for a little while, when the Lord opened our eyes to a beautiful 102 year old home with nearly 18 acres. My heart has always leaned affectionately toward old houses. It's a strange interest really, but since I was about a second grader I've been obsessed through and through. 

My summers spent in Louisiana with my dad and step mom were filled with me riding my bike all over God's green earth out in the country where I'd explore some old abandoned houses with my friends. This hobby continued on through high school, where every old abandoned house called my name, beckoning me to pull over, go inside and admire the lay out, crown molding, and picture how life once played out there. I was eventually forbidden from continuing the strange hobby by my dad, and rightly so! Haha! So my free spirited, spontaneous tendencies needed a smidgen of wisdom, but it's true to say that my interest in all things vintage has been a part of me since girlhood.

In recent years I found a treasured memory book my mom gave me for Christmas in 4th grade. It was a book where I could write out my dreams about my future and milestones in my childhood. On one blank, I couldn't believe my written response and how little my interests had changed since being a 4th grader. The question said, "What would you like life to be like when you're grown?"
My answer said, "I want to have a christian family and live in an old Victorian home." Hilarious.
Now I thought old homes were all called Victorian. I thought that was the term for homes 100+ in age. That same year I had one request for my birthday. To go and tour some "Victorian" homes in Natchez, Mississippi. I got to go and see some plantations with my mom and step dad and got a nifty paper doll book with civil war era clothing for the dolls, at Rosalie. I loved it all!

So when we came across this home with the beautiful land and a pecan orchard, my heart really did flutter a bit. 

We went to see the house, which was so charming. Five bedrooms, three bath, a dog trot hallway, stairway, and beaded board throughout. The property included a large shed and as an added bonus: the town's old train depot! 
We all loved the house and property, and the space for our children and animals as well. It all needed a lot of work and we wanted to make sure it was the place God had for us.

We prayed. We waited. In the end, we knew it was to be the home for our family. 

We are working and painting and flooring and fixing this week. I'll have lots of pictures to share soon! 

My God is amazing. See, God creates each of us with dreams and interests. We are all so different. And then as we pursue him and walk with him, he takes good care of us. He even blesses us with the desires of our hearts, some that he planted in us since childhood. 

I look forward to making this house a warm home for our family...Thank you Jesus for all of your blessings. 


1 comment:

Amber said...

Wonderful! He knit those desires into you when He created you; this is something He recently told me. I have a "thing" for huge houses. Mansions. I know that He put that into me... it's always been a fascination of mine. Does that mean that someday I will live in a mansion? Without a doubt in my entire being. And you can take that to the bank! :) I'm praising God with you!