Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Whistle While You Work

There has been lots of work going on this week. We are trying to get our new/old house to the point of being able to move in ASAP. At first we thought we were going to simply paint and, down the road, sand and refinish the hardwood floors. But there were several bad spots that needed repairing. After talking with my carpenter dad about the problem spots, and other soon to be problem spots, he suggested overlaying the current floors with oak wood floors. We could make the tongue and groove boards ourselves. It would be a lot of work but would be beautiful. We looked into that option, but did not want to drop the $7000 in wood it would cost to completely do wood flooring in the downstairs. We weren't sure what we should use. We began to go back to plan A of repairing the bad spots. Then I decided to look on Craig's List to see if anyone was selling wood floors. An ad came up for cherry hardwood flooring, 1800 square feet of it, which is about the square footage of the downstairs of our house. So for $600 we got 1800 sq feet of cherry flooring to totally cover the downstairs floors. Talk about awesome provision. The wood is GORGEOUS. That was a huge blessing! I cannot wait to see it all completed!
Lots of yard work to be done...
Picket fence around front yard 
 Going for a swim in the pool

Creepy crawlers 
 Dan my man, hard at work with the chainsaw.
 The hallway and stairs

Cherry flooring going down

And new light fixture in hallway
 Leelee helping me paint
 My "Deddy" putting down the floors.
 Since we are replacing the floors now, I decided it would be great for the boys to team up and paint as well. They did great!
Fireplace in kitchen. We are going to remove the gas heater from it... We are using this room right now for a make-shift living room as well.
Green counter tops follow me wherever I go. I can't figure it out. :/ I have big plans for this room! :)) It is the only room with a lowered ceiling, while the rest of the house has 11 ft ceilings. More to come here later.
Living room 
Living room fireplace with scattered junk here and there. :)

Amaus sanding on cherry floors...

There's lots more work to be done, but it feels wonderful to be checking off the list. 





2 comments:

Avery's Mommy said...

OMG CALLY, it's just BEAUTIFUL! CONGRATS :)

Penny said...

It sure is big! I would love it! I share your love of old houses. :)