Thursday, October 17, 2013

Crazy, Beautiful Life

A couple of days ago the kids and I rode with Danny to get a tractor. When we bought our new home we knew we'd need to invest in one, as the property here, the pecan orchard and pasture, would require it. I must say, I had no idea what a joyous occasion it is for a man to get a tractor. I still can't wrap my mind around it entirely, but hey, cool! Danny grew up using and working with tractors, and he's pretty excited to have one of his own. I know there's plenty of "fun" to be had here on the farm in the coming months!
So anyhoo, back to my story.
We rode along to get the tractor and...

On the way home we stopped at a Cracker Barrel for supper. Eating out as a family is always quite the adventure!

As I looked across the table, Camila had taken the pegs out of her "Ig-na-ra-moose" game (classic peg game at all Cracker Barrel restaurants) and was building them into a rainbow. Salem was reaching for the pegs and Camila would holler out, "RAINBOW!" She was frustrated because he was ruining her rainbow creation. He didn't notice, and was bouncing in the high chair with delight. In the middle of this, he grabs a plate which slides across the table and shatters on the floor. Oops.

I here giggles at the other side of the table where I look up to notice my 4 year old son with a peg up each nostril. No, seriously. Of course, I immediately have him remove the, ahem, now contaminated pegs. I've decided I can use this as a future "You don't know where that thing has BEEN!" example.

It wasn't long after, that I realize there is a table behind us with a family the same size. Four boy children and one girl child. The kids are all sitting with a quietness and enjoying calm conversation. I secretly wonder if they were given a dose of Benadryl before coming to supper. 

Truth is, this scene used to bother me. It would bother me enough to keep me from going anywhere. It would bother me enough to make me question my ability to parent and lead and direct my youngsters. 

My children are all energetic, creative, bouncy, and loud, excluding Isaac- who is all of those except for loud and talkative. He makes up for it in loud laughter, though. None of my kids prefer to sit quietly in comparison with running, screaming, and making others laugh. I was the same way, and I must say, it's apparently a very dominant trait.

Nonetheless, I'm learning something. Our crew isn't typical. My kids can sit quietly when they have to. They can behave and they can listen. But our family is just not ever going to fit the "sit and soak somberly" mold, or that "children should be seen and not heard" ideal. And you know what? I don't want them to.

I love the fact that Josiah can convey his latest invention idea to me in the middle of background loud chatter or crying and never miss a beat. I love the fact that my kids can make a game of sorting laundry and it seems like their laughter can rattle the walls.
I am thrilled that my kids can find the craziest junk outside and create some sort of imaginative play land and that their joy could be heard a mile away.
 I adore the fact that, if Salem is crying, his brothers will team up talking to him in typical squeaky baby fashion, but at about 300 decibels. He actually adores it too, despite the volume.


This gang rocks my world. Keeps me on my toes. Brings me to my knees in prayer and makes me raise my hands with shouts of thanksgiving. They bring me to tears of despair when I'm concerned and tears of pride when I see progress, compassion, and love coming out of them. 

And despite how untypical or unlikely this family may be, some incredible things are happening here in all of the day in day out living and learning. We are ALL growing.

This life we live...it's truly chaotic. It's certainly not for sissies. It's hard work and takes all I have. But so far beyond that...it's incredibly fulfilling. I'm living my dream.

This bunch is loud and beautiful. 
I wouldn't trade the chaos for anything in the world.


3 comments:

Amber said...

I'm right there with you! Beautiful.

Reagan said...

It's the best, it really is!

Penny said...

My momma always got complimented because we (my two sisters and I) were that family behind you. Lol. But looking back, I think the family of wild ones, running circles around their parents' table probably had a lot more fun! ;) You're not the only one that enjoys your loud bunch. They are very entertaining, especially Amaus! Never a dull moment with that boy! :)