Thursday, February 19, 2009

Cowboy Casserole

This is what I made for supper yesterday. It is a recipe that I sort of threw together as a newlywed. I had not made it in a long time, but decided to give it a go last night. The only downfall, was that I didn't have any velveeta like I thought I did, and so that took a little piece of deliciousness away.It is a very simple, and tasty casserole. First, you brown a pound (approx) of ground beef in a skillet, drain the grease, and add some kind of southwestern seasoning. I prefer fajita seasoning over taco seasoning- but they both will work. Then you saute some bell pepper and onion in another skillet. Take a large casserole dish (9 *11 is good) and cover the bottom of the dish with the seasoned ground beef. Then sprinkle the sauteed onion and bell pepper on top of that. I like to take a jar of mild salsa and pour over that too. (If you want to add some corn to this layer, you can- I prefer frozen corn- it will cook in the oven) THEN, take some Velveeta, and cut it up in squares (use about half of a large block) and place them all over the onions and salsa. The next thing you do, is prepare 2 boxes of Jiffy cornbread according to package directions. You then pour that over the top of everything. You bake at 400* F for about 20 mins, or until the cornbread is a nice golden brown. Mmmmm. This is the kind of meal I would want to retire to after a long day of working the cattle out on the open range. Simply scrumptious. ;>)






Danny has been working on building a tree house for the boys in the front corner of our yard. I think it is going to be the kind of tree house that I always wanted when I was little. It is supposed to go all the way around a small oak tree. I think we are going to make a little zip line to another tree (but it will be low to the ground for safety) and there are plans for a fireman's pole too. The boys are so excited! Now, if Danny could only find a couple of days to finish it!

2 comments:

Avery's Mommy said...

omg that looks delicious...i bet charlie would love it!

Amber said...

I only wish Robby had some kind of extra free time to do something like that. Maybe in 5 years...