We have been preparing Josiah and Isaac for several months about our upcoming beach trip, and California road trip. Josiah is ALL about the beach. When I tried to get him excited about the road trip, I told him, "We even get to go to Grand Canyon!!" And he said, "Isn't that just a big hole in the ground?" I couldn't stop laughing. The beach is what he is pumped about- the hole in the ground will be "alright".
I am about to run a pole on my blog. I CANNOT make up my mind about what curriculum to use next year. I am not saying I am going to use whatever curriculum wins- but I sure would like some input! Here are my 3 choices...If you are in to this sort of thing and want to check these out- go for it! If not, well I know this stuff doesn't excite many people.
A) My Father's World-
This is what I used with Josiah last yr. It is a great curriculum. It is the cheapest of my 3 choices...It was a wonderful kindergarten program and Josiah learned reading basics in a hands on fun way. I loved that. I think he is the kind of kid that really loves making things and hands-on stuff. He will listen to stories, but doesn't seem to do well with repetitive worksheets and no projects. He likes to use his imagination to learn-that works out wonderfully, because so do I!
HOWEVER, the 1st grade in this curriculum is not looking all that appealing to me. It still uses some hands on projects- but seems lacking in the science that Josiah thrives in. I know I could supplement some- but I am not sure I want to have to be on a hunt for what he needs. Also, the program uses a more integrated approach in Math, and doesn't incorporate an official math program until 2nd grade. They use something called Singapore Math- which is really supposed to be great and well advanced...but I think Josiah is ready to work on Math now. By the end of this yr, we were adding and subtracting digits up to 13, putting missing numbers in those type problems, and had worked some on place value, and some with number lines. (This curriculum will cost me about $300.00 once I supplement with Math.)
B) Abeka-
Okay- so EVERYONE loves this curriculum, and there has got to be a reason why. It's not that I am not convinced it makes smart kids, or that they aren't well advanced in reading and math under this program. It's that it seems to be very work-booky, if you will. Lots and lots of pages and lots and lots of sitting in a desk writing. I know a lot of this is necessary- but it cannot be all that Josiah does. He will dry up in this environment. He is an adventurer...When he is allowed to explore and discover, he soaks up every minute like a sponge. When he is trying to meet some daily worksheet quota, he begins to despise learning. I know he must do writing and worksheets. But Josiah needs these things under a blanket of discovery. He is always excited about doing those things, when it is a way for him to express an idea he has learned. I really feel the Abeka DVD program would be terrible for him...I don't know about the other one. This is also about an $850.00 program.
C) Sonlight-
I have a friend who uses and LOVES this curriculum. Their motto is, "Your child will love learning or you will get your money back". It is a good marriage of bookwork and hands on projects. Lots of the learning is reading from classic story books. Also, there is tons of info even on the first grade level on History. They cover all kinds of info on different cultures even in the first grade. It seems awesome. It is, like Abeka, around about $850.00.
(The good news about the money is, LA now offers a tax refund for money spent on homeschooling supplies and curriculum.)
So I am going to run a vote. Let me know what you think! :>)
5 comments:
Hey,
You know I love the A-Beka, BUT it is not very "hands-on" at all. It really isn't as much paperwork as you think, though. It starts out with about 3 math and reading pages a week and then works up to doing 1 or 2 in each subject each day. They do have 1 handwriting page a day, but you could only do the front side. Of course, I'm only talking about Kindergarten-- I haven't looked at first grade. My favorite thing about it is the way it teaches reading. You do have to REALLY work to make games out of it, or at least I did.
I'm not familiar with the other two at all.
If you like the one you have, just supplement the math part like you said.
I'm for Option A, cause it sounds like Josiah loved it and cause it is WAY cheaper than the others. I'm so jealous that you're going to the Canyon!!! Daniel and I lived there for about five months back in 2005. LOVED IT! Not a fun place to live (even the nearest Wal-Mart was at least 80 miles away) but still BEAUTIFUL to look at every day :)I can't wait to go back someday and take our *future* kids and show them where we worked, and our favorite spot to hike out to (that the tourists don't know about :) Btw, I worked at the Hopi House gift shop so stop by there if you get a chance! It was built by the Hopi Indians over a 100 years ago, very interesting stuff. Take lots of pictures for us bloggers!!!
I don't know how I always miss blog entries! LOL
Holy cow I think I forget how expensive curriculum is! Ours is SO minimal as far as cost, but I really enjoyed it this year so I think we will stick with it. However on your 3 choices, I have heard awesome things about all 3. I've come to love the Father's World because at our Friday school (at church) that's what Ronan's science teacher uses and she is SO on top of things, coming up with creative ways to teach that I would never think of.
So when are you guys coming to CA? And what part? So awesome!
Leaving June 24th- heading to Salinas first,(after a pit stop at Grand canyon) where my great aunt lives, and then on to Yosemite! We are counting the days!
I'd stick with MFW for now. Sonlight is supposed to be awesome, but for the money I'd wait until Josiah is older.
Post a Comment