Saturday, August 1, 2009

Lately...

We have been extremely busy lately. There have been some tragic goings on as well. A very close friend to our family's son passed away in a bad car accident. He was only 16. It has been very difficult, but encouraging to watch the family walk through this hard time. It amazing to see how they are leaning on Jesus for strength and direction. Also, we just found out that my aunt has cancer. This is heartbreaking news, and we are praying for a mighty miracle in her life.

Honestly, I don't think I am going to attempt to sum up the last couple of weeks. Maybe it is my tiredness, maybe it is just because there is a part of me that is looking forward to what is on the way, and ready to leave behind flighty schedules and late nights. While there have been some really fun things go on in the last couple of weeks. I am pooped. The approximate, 4 weeks of being gone this summer has truly taken a toll on this mama and she is ready to feel rested up once again.

Well- now for the unveiling! The home school curriculum I decided to go with for the upcoming year was..........Sonlight. Yes! I LOOOVE it! What really sold me on it, was the fact that is uses a combination of whole language and phonetics in teaching reading. I thought this would be beneficial to all of our kids, considering some may do better with one method, and then the next one might be a slightly different learner. Also, it is designed so that you can teach more than one kid at once. That is a biggie for me! You can use one "core" where the kids are basically on the same page in history, geography, and science (maybe you use a stronger emphasis on some things) but then each kid has a different level of reading, language arts and math. I think I will need something like this in upcoming years. I didn't want to swap over way later when they would have already missed the early rich history learning from this curriculum.

I am beyond excited about homeschooling this year. Boy- it is gonna be fun! My goals today are to clean out the schoolhouse, and get rid of our overstock of toys! The funniest thing happened a couple of weeks ago. I looked outside when I woke up in the morning, and there was Bell, our dog sitting on a chair in the schoolhouse.

I first wanted to blame the boys, but remembered that they had been with me the entire previous evening. Who knows how the dog go into the schoolhouse? She had a real field day while in there! Paper is everywhere, and she left a few stinky messes as well.

Starting next week, we are running for ourselves a practice week of going to bed early (except Fridays) and trying to get ourselves on schedule for school. Yippity-do-da!

6 comments:

Penny said...

How did you clean house AND the schoolroom with three kids around?!! I took days cleaning one classroom and that was with Shelbi helping! But we had Harlee with us, too.

Penny said...

I just saw your twits. How funny that you're weaning Amaus from his paci and Shelbi spent all week "coercing" Leon into taking one! LOL
We were hoping it would help with his teething and with the 3 hour ride home. He did enjoy chewing it, but the car ride was a nightmare AGAIN! Hope he does better in the bigger carseat he should have before I get him again. (That won't be until Thanksgiving, at the earliest.) =( I just left him 6 hours ago and I miss him like crazy. I love that kid!

Calley said...

Awww- that is so sweet, Penny. Phew- I never had to talk Amaus into a paci. He came loving it...but day 1 without it wasn't all that bad a t all. Boy was I surprised. I would have taken it a while back had I known it would go so smoothly. (of course, this is now only day 2...lol)

Penny said...

Mal was 20 months and Shelbi was 2 1/2 years before I took theirs (long story) and they only whined for about 3 days at naps and bedtime. Then they were over it. Sarah figured out at 4 months that pacis NEVER have food in them, so she spit it out. LOL Leon takes after her. Couldn't you tell? He's a little chunk! =)

Mallory said...

although our cabin was nice we did have a couple of issues with the cleaning (read my not-me's from this week :) but i would suggest checking out sylamore creek camp if you're wanting to go to mountain view, i've never stayed in the cabins there but the place looked extremely family-oriented. that's where we rented our $5 canoe, lol. here is the address for that place:

http://www.sylamorecreek.com/

or you could take your camper to blanchard springs right outside of mt view, that place is beautiful too.

but if i were to suggest ANY place in arkansas it would be petit jean, i LOVE it there, much more beautiful views too. plus you could take the kids to the waterfall there =)

Amber said...

Sonlight has a great reputation. Let me know how y'all like it.