Thursday, December 17, 2009

Hustle and Bustle


Well, "The Christmas Eve Miracle", (the musical Susannah and I wrote) went well! The kids (and a few adults) performed it on Sunday night, and Wednesday night at church.


It was alot of work, but it was also alot of fun. I thought the kids and adults were awesome!
Christmas has totally snuck up on me! Yes, I knew it was coming...and it seemed so far away until about a week ago. It was almost like I suddenly woke up and there was only one week until Christmas. Danny let me know the other day what he was making me for Christmas! (Finally an explanation for all of the trips to Clayton to my grandparent's shop!) He is making us an awesome rustic table with bench seats. The wood for the table is from about 1920. It is beautiful. He isn't finished quite yet...but I cannot wait to see the finished product.
Actually the last couple of weeks have been full of surprises for me. I also received another incredible gift from my Dad. He bought me the coolest antique wood cooking stove! (something I have wanted for a few years) When I saw it, I cried! He completely restored it. I cannot wait to try cooking on it! I guess my Dad planted these crazy seeds in me or something! He has been cooking on a wood stove for a good 10 years or more now. I used to help when I was in High school. As weird as it sounds, I always enjoyed helping cook on it...and the smell of burning wood filling the kitchen. Soaking up that relaxing warmth while laughing and visiting around the kitchen table. There was something so peaceful and lively about it, all at once. However I am the only one of my 3 Harrell siblings who would write a joyful ballad about a woodstove...lol. Both of my brothers(the wood cutters) and sister would probably say, "Those were some good memories, but it's just not for me."



So this week, the boys and I have started working on a mini candy land. I hope we are able to build some cars and other buildings. Usually my ideas far exceed my patience and time. The funny thing is this is a stolen idea from when I was in 1st grade. There was a teacher named Mrs. Hicks, (she wasn't mine) who got her class to build a huge candyland each year. It covered several tables and had a train that ran through it. I remember being so mesmerized by it. There were carousels out of animal crackers and pretzels. It was made out of every kind kind of candy, cracker, and cookie imaginable.





Well, it is with many sniffles that I announce...Josiah lost his first two teeth. It being such a monumental passage to official kid-dom, I decided to begin the tradition of baking a snaggle tooth cake for each of our children to celebrate their first lost tooth.

No, it wasn't a typo above...I did say Josiah lost his two first teeth. He wanted me to pull one of his bottom ones. He had two loose teeth, though. When I pulled on the really loose one, I felt something pop into my hand. It was two teeth. They both came out at once! Pretty nuts!

We had a light snow a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to come on heavy one night. We knew it wouldn't last too long, so we let Josiah and Isaac go out and run around in the yard until pretty late. It melted quickly, and this was all that was left the next morning.


                             
The barn


                               

My step Dad, Mom, and little brother Lee are coming down this weekend to celebrate Christmas with us! So excited! We are all also very pumped about next week, as it will be a flurry of fun activities and get togethers. I think the boys are having alot of trouble containing themselves. It has been raining almost every day for well over a week, I believe. They run around the house acting like a team of caged monkeys! I guess everyone get's a little anxious at Christmastime. Sort of comes with the territory.

6 comments:

Avery's Mommy said...

The play was incredible! I cannot believe you guys wrote the entire thing...amazing talent!

That is the coolest stove EVER.

I am so jealous y'all got wayyyy more snow than us in NORTH La!?!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Penny said...

Great post and pictures as usual. Love the new header and your stove looks awesome. You really were born in the wrong century! =) Yes, the play was good and I LOVE Mr. Wesley for giving each one a DVD. So generous! If you think your boys are hyped up---- you should have visited my class for the past couple of weeks. I've never flipped so many discipline cards in my life! But they got out today for 15 days so it's all GOOD!! ;)

Serenyd said...

Love the stove and the cute little candyland houses! Sounds like you have a busy week ahead of you. Hope we can get together again after the holidays!

Danielle

Cristi said...

Nice post. Love the pictures and especially the header! LOVE that stove. Gotta come see you to bring you something tomorrow so maybe I will get to see it then. Way cool!

Amber said...

I love the cake!

Melody said...

That stove looks so awesome!! I love old stuff like that.

I'm very (im)patiently waiting for Tommie to lose her first tooth! She has 3 loose and I thought for sure they'd be gone by Christmas (so she could sing "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth" lol) but none yet! It's taking forever and she won't wiggle them nearly enough. ;)