Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving

We decided to head up to my Mom's house for Thanksgiving this year. The boys and I left on Monday morning and Danny met us on Wednesday night. I was able to get some Christmas shopping done on Monday and Tuesday.
I also had a special treat on Monday evening. My best friend, Amber, who I have been friends with since 5th grade, met me in Little Rock. My Mom watched the boys and she took me to the spa! I have never done anything like that before. We had an awesome time. We got massages and facials. It was so relaxing! After that we went and had sushi, and then did a little shopping! As always, our time flew by- but nonetheless, it was a very nice treat! We always have so much fun visiting and catching up. I don't think we could ever run out of things to talk about!

Wednesday afternoon I had an awesome experience. Mama had sent me to the grocery store to buy a couple of last minute things for Thanksgiving dinner. I was supposed to pick up charcoal at the store, but decided to run by the dollar store to see if it was cheaper there. When I was in the dollar store I noticed a woman (about my age or younger) with 3 small children. She honestly looked pretty rough, but was surprisingly patient and kind with her three busy kids. Something you don't see very often. Well, they were sold out of charcoal there, so I went on down the road to the flower shop to pick up a table centerpeice. While driving, I saw the woman and her chidren carrying their bags and walking down the side of the road. I immedietly knew I was supposed to turn around and pick them up.
When I was a teenager I was rather notorious for picking up hitchikers. Finally, Deddy(what we call him) forbid me from doing it anymore. Since then, I don't know if I have offered anyone a ride by myself. I could not deny the feeling that I was by all means being led by the Holy Spirit, to pick this lady and her chidren up. So I did.
She gladly excepted the ride.  She seemed very nervous to be in my car. We had a casual conversation about kids. I told her about my three boys, and that was the most of it. I knew I was supposed to speak to her about Jesus. I didn't know what to say, though. When we got to her house, I helped her and her children out, and at the very last possible minute, asked her if she was a Christian. She nervously said she was and that she went to church up the road somewhere. She then said that she had helped with a children's camp the summer before.
There was a long pause. She looked down, and then said, "Well, to tell you the truth, I used to be in the ministry. I was in the ministry for about 3 years. Then, some things went bad and ..." She trailed off. "I know everyone has their tribulations," she continued. "And I know God won't put more on you than you can handle. But sometimes I just don't know why he is putting me through this..." She stopped as tears filled her eyes. She was a rather petite woman. She lowered her head like a small, shy child who was all alone in a group of strangers.
All I could think to do was ask her if I could pray for her. We bowed our heads. It seemed at that moment, that her kids began to scream and pull on her leg. I had a strange notion as to why things became so chatoic right at that moment.
Sometimes when I pray for someone, I have no idea what to say. It is as if I repeat the same things over and over and find it rather difficult to bring it to an end. But this moment was different. It was as if God suddenly breathed peace on this extremely nervous, and awkward feeling vessel, and filled me with the words this young mother needed. Scripture after scripture filled my mind and then fell on my lips. Scriptures about God's amazing love for this beautiful young woman. Scriptures about his plan for her life...how he had never left her side. I asked God to wrap his arms around her. The prayer ended- and I knew God had heard us. I wondered if she had heard anything, with all of the screaming going on. But she lifted her face and her eyes were just pouring tears of brokeness. I hugged her- and left.

I left so encouraged. Oh how Jesus loves us so. He had directed me on a hunt around the world for some cheap charcoal, of all things, just to show this precious child of his that she was not forgotten. It is incredible how God is continually devising schemes to bring us back to him. I felt so honored that God chose to use me. My mind is so full of my own day in day out agenda...I wonder how many times I miss the opportunity to be another part of the body of Christ-reaching out for eternity.

The next day we had a wonderful time visiting with family, and eating some delicious food.

Some of the Thanksgiving desserts


Josiah and Isaac looking for fall leaves           Amaus- King of Grandmother's house

Mom and I
Aunt Janet, Mom, and Lee

   Meme Knox


Cousin Robin, her grandma, "Mama Tune", and Aunt Cynthia


Josiah's Thanksgiving decorations

After dinner, we met Deddy and Leslie in Little Rock and drove north to Mountain View, Arkansas. We camped (tent) at a campground our family has gone to several times since I was a little girl.We were pretty cold on the first night, as it got down to 27 degrees! We had a little mini heater in our tent that lasted until around the middle of the night. We made it, though! We were very glad when the sun came up the next morning.
We enjoyed the campfire, visited, fished, and explored the area. It was a really fun trip!



Danny and I after the freezing night

Isaac didn't want to touch his fish

My little mountain man


Deddy and Leslie





A lady weaving a rug. So cool!

Blue grass/Gospel players on the town square

Some homeade bisquits Deddy and Les made on the fire in the dutch oven.

Josiah in front of the spring that comes out of the mouth of Blanchard Caverns.

An old dam on Mirror Lake

10 comments:

Avery's Mommy said...

What a great story. It brought tears to my eyes!

The pics are GREAT. Love the mountain man pic of Amaus!

Beautiful scenery!

Penny said...

Beautiful pictures! And story!
I don't know why you'd ever feel uncomfortable praying! The main reason I loved keeping Isaac in the nursery on Wednesday nights was because you would come in there after singing to feed him, but would always end up praying for Sarah. Your prayers are always beautiful, sincere, and make me cry. You'd pray for Sarah even over the phone and tears would stream down my cheeks. I LOVE to hear you pray! You are such a blessing--- and I am SURE that stranger feels the same way. Love ya =)

Amber said...

Calley, that is so awesome. When instances like the one with you and the lady with three kids occur, I know that I always feel so honored to have the Lord use little ol' me to make a difference in someone's life. I'm so glad you were used in the way and that you were able to experience that high afterward, knowing how great Jesus is and how much He loves us. There's nothing better.

I love you and I miss you and I can't wait to see you again in a few months. *muwah*

Cristi said...

You got some great pictures. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the one your "Your little Mountain Man". It is gorgeous! Great post!

Megan Knox said...

Thanks for posting the pictures, Calley. They're great! I missed you all at Thanksgiving, but I'm glad to see that everyone had a good time.

By the way, Mama Toon is called that because that's her last name. Her mother was Mama Lush. We think Toon is a fitting name for the clan (and it's a clan--Mom's one of 9 kids!) because we're all a bit looney!

Calley said...

Megan- LOL I didn't know that! That's funny- and cute! Would have loved to have seen you at Thanksgiving! I hope your festivities in London went well. How was the celebration?

Serenyd said...

Calley, Love your blog! The pictures are wonderful! The story you told was very moving. I'm glad you help that lady out, I'm sure she needed every bit of encouragement you could give her.

Mallory said...

Can't believe you camped in a tent up in Mt Wiew, I am such a baby in the cold weather -- and Arkansas seems sooo much colder in the winter than LA! Btw, the spot where Josiah is standing at the spring is very close to the spot where Daniel proposed to me on New Year's 2006, it was on the first stone bridge you cross from the parking lot to get to the spring =)

Mallory said...

Meant to say Mt. "View" =)

Calley said...

Awwww! How sweet!!!!