Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I have considered closing this blog several times over the last few weeks. I enjoy blogging- but it feels impossible to stay consistant with it! Then when I do finally get the chance to blog, I find that I cannot remember half of what went on, or I once again do not have time to record it all!

We just finished up a couple of week spree of different sickies around our house. I am so glad everyone is feeling well again! Thank you Lord!

Our family has been very busy as we wrap up the homeschooling for the year. We still have 6 weeks of schooling left- and it can't come fast enough right now! Josiah is anxious for a break- and so am I! I am very much looking forward to a summer of relaxed reading, playing, and casual learning in day in day out things. Auuughh. I happen to also be anxious for swimming and other fun summer activities.

Well, Lord willing- it looks like we will soon be getting another milk cow! I am SOOO excited, and I cannot wait to be drinking fresh milk again! The last few months we have risen to drinking about 3 gallons of milk a week! Our family loves milk, but I hate giving the boys so much milk when it is pumped with terrible growth hormones. Not to mention the cost of putting down that much milk. After a year of milking, this cow will have more than paid for itself, and when we sell it's calf, we will have made money. It is a great investment for us. We are looking at buying a 3 quarter Jersey, one quarter Holstein milk cow. Jersey cows are known for making lots of cream and I am excited to get back to making butter again as well. The boys both love to milk, too. They squeeled when they found out. Unfortunatly we won't be able to milk her until about October. She is a young heffer and is expecting her first calf around that time. She was raised by a man from a calf, and very tame. She was only recently turned out to the pasture with the other cows.

Also, Mr. Paul, who normally grows a huge garden, and supplies us all with lots of veggies, is attempting to show me the tricks of gardening this year! I have about three rows that I am tending to myself. I have planted tomatoes, squash, broccolli, onions, and corn. I think I still may plant some watermelon and bell pepper. They are already beginning to sprout up!  :D

Saturday I was finally able to teach the childbirth class I had been anticipating. It was such a joy and a blessing to feel used in this way! I hope I hear from these girls and am able to further help out!

T-ball is now in full swing. Josiah and Isaac have gotten to where they really like batting. On Sunday afternoon, Papaw Bill worked with them both on their batting for a couple of hours. By the end of the afternoon, they were both hitting great, and having a blast. I am anxious to see if they remember all they learned at the next game!

Our prayers and thoughts are with our Aunt Cindy this week, who was diagnosed with Melanoma, and is undergoing 5 chemo treatments this week.We are praying for her complete healing!!

That about sums up life for us right now! We are very blessed beyond measure, and we are excited about the summer ahead!!

7 comments:

Megan Knox said...

Don't close your blog, Calley! Even if your posts are infrequent, I always enjoy reading them. I'm so glad we've had a way to reconnect!

Mandy said...

My broccoli looks so sad! I read on the internet that it doesn't like temps above about 70 and those above 80 do it in. It was over 80 every day last week! I'm not giving up on it yet, but I may dig it up and plant carrots in its place.

Penny said...

Love the pictures! They all three look "good and holy" to me! LOL So glad you don't have homely kids, aren't you? ;)

Calley said...

Megan: I am glad too! Thanks for the encouragement and I will try to blog more often! :)
Mandy: I know people say broccoli is a winter plant but my father-in-law grew some a couple of yrs ago through the whole summer in the LA heat. I thought I would give it a try anyway. My middle son LOVES it. It's working now- but it hasn't gotten hot yet either...we shall see.
Penny- LOL You're funny! Can't believe Isaac said that!

Avery's Mommy said...

Don't get discouraged about blogging. Years from now you will love looking back (at least thats what I keep telling myself!) I love that y'all are getting a cow :) too cute! And yay for teaching the childbirth class...congrats!

Love the pics - your kids are adorable!

Mallory said...

love the Easter pics, your boys are too cute :)

Calley said...

Casey, yes, I know...but I wish I could blog more and really keep up!

Thanks ya'll! :D The boys were happy about taking pics that day for some reason!