Our house recently was hit with the major whinies. Nobody has been enjoying school. Nobody wants to do anything to help out. Yesterday could have possibly made the record for the hardest day in a year. I could make a seemingly endless list of everything that went wrong- but I'll just hit the high points.
-We have began potty training Amaus. He has shown all the signs of readiness and actually went all day Monday with only a couple of accidents. Yesterday- he didn't want anything to do with the potty and preferred to use his shorts for a potty. At one point yesterday he ran out of the schoolhouse, when I ran into the house to grab a book. Had a bad accident and decided to go for a fun ride down the slide. Yay.
-The air conditioner went out in the house- in the early afternoon
-I was so tired that I truly felt like falling asleep while reading to Josiah.
-All of this topped with major crying and/or screaming out of all three boys.
All of that being said- it was a very good opportunity to practice rejoicing in a bad day. There were some times we all practiced rejoicing, and others where we failed. By yesterday evening though- while I was cooking supper and sweating like a boar hog- it felt like a cloud had been lifted. My mind seemed to come to peace with the thought that Jesus is Lord- no matter how hard the day might seem. He is the true source of my joy- not any temporary circumstance. We all went to bed in a house that was about 86 + degrees. Everyone slept like babies. Sometimes I think we set ourselves up for misery, and when we simply decide to rejoice, we realize things aren't that hard or bad after all.
This morning things are worlds better. The "air man" came and fixed some wire on our air conditioner this morning quickly. Not a big deal at all. We are running a few steps behind- but we are blessed, God is in control, and when we acknowledge and trust Him in every circumstance, there will be joy found there.
So I had this idea hit me this morning as I was cleaning the kitchen. I have used numerous charts with the children through the years- but I am going to make a "Rejoicing Chart". Yes. A chart that has each person's name in our family (minus Amaus) and the days of the week. For each day that everyone- including the grown-ups, have good attitudes through schooling, and other circumstances, we get a sticker. I suppose Danny and I will have to do an honest self evaluation and let the kids weigh in on it. ;) lol We won't get any kind of reward. But whoever (kids wise) gets the most stickers at the end of the week gets to pick the fun family activity we do that week. (make homeade ice cream- family movie night- go to the creek-go swimming-game night, etc) Hope this gives us all some initiative to have good attitudes and rejoice even when we don't like something so much.
3 comments:
This is so true and will literally change your life if you can just get this concept. I am nowhere close. Love the idea of a chart!
Yes, it is definitely easy to rejoice when things are great. But, like in the book we're studying now, just look what happens when you rejoice in the midst of trials and chaos~ the jails break open! :) Like you said, Casey, I'm no where near there, but hopefully I'll get better. Great post, Calley, but thankful I heard it tonight before I read it. Maybe I need to "hear" some things twice. Love hearing you pour out your heart, whether in prayer or just in telling your story. :)
I certainly haven't "arrived" either. But I am convinced with having 3+ children running around, I'd better learn to walk in it or I could be pretty grouchy!! Not because kids aren't awesome blessings- just because things aren't ever going to go exactly to my plan, schedule and liking and I'd better just get used to being happy about it! Lol the cool thing is, usually when we start rejoicing, we actually are happy amidst it. God gives us that joy. Lord help me to walk it out!
Post a Comment