Thursday, April 28, 2011

Southern Chocolate Gravy- Ohhh YEAAH!

When I was a little girl my great grandmother Eliza, "Granny", made us something called chocolate gravy. Now if you're from the south, you've probably heard of it. Maybe not. My mom also made it for us a lot when we were kids. I can still remember when it was a chocolate gravy night. My brother Chris and I would break out in a happy dance. This is just another one of those unspoken rules of being southern, I suppose. You can eat a rich chocolaty pudding for supper, preferably with fresh, hot bisquits. Another rule says that you can eat breakfast at any meal. My kids do a happy dance similar to that of mine and my brother's when we have pancakes for supper.

Anyway- here's how you make this surprisingly simple and scrumptious- rich, fudgy concoction.

(I wrote this recipe down while in college when I was on a temporary recipe collecting obsession)

In a sauce pan or microwavable bowl (all of mine were MIA) put in 1 cup of sugar.
(Please excuse my nappy old saucepan :) )

Two heaping tablespoons of cocoa

                                                            4 Tablespoons of flour
(AND TWO CUPS OF MILK- Don't have a picture of that! ooops)
3 Tablespoons of BUTTER (REAL!)

1 Tablespoon-ish of vanilla. A little extra vanilla never hurt anybody. ;)

Heat on stove top over medium heat while stirring. You'll have to kind of baby-sit this pot of yummy goodness for a few minutes to be sure it doesn't burn.
You'll know it's ready when it starts to thicken up like a pudding.

The same thing goes for if you're doing this in the microwave.
 I would take it out every few minutes to stir.

Annnnd NOW....


                                              I'm drooling all over again!!                          

Some other pictures from Easter weekend:
Enjoying the first CHILLY swim of the year!



                                                    We LOVE SPRING AND SUMMER!!!


A few Easter goodies from mama and daddy.
The stocking nails turned out to make good bucket holders!

Ha! And more junky food! Oh my!
Mama's baseball stars:

(Isaac evidently loves to pull his hats and goggles down where they put his ears in a bind!)


#99! Wooowee!

2 comments:

Becky Ryder said...

Ooooo ours did the chilly swim too. I don't know how they do it...do they not have feeling in their bodies, LOL! Great pics...cute boys:)

Rhonda LaBatt said...

Our girls did the Easter swim here in Phoenix, too! :) Brrr!