
There is a serious problem worldwide with this thing called identity theft. People are claiming to be someone they're not and hacking other people's bank accounts and credit card information in order to steal from them. It's really very terrible. It's happened more than once that we have been notified that we paid for someone's party at Macaroni Grill and a get together at Eddie's Barbecue. Thankfully, our bank or credit card company pinpointed it as identity theft and we weren't left paying for those shindigs. It sort of makes one feel a little upset to know that a stranger had the nerve to so blatantly steal and expect others to pay for their leisures. There are many times, though, when a perfectly innocent person is left footing the all-you-can-eat buffet for a thief. Sometimes the debt is very great, and those innocent people have to figure out a way to clear their bad credit when they were never the ones who spent the money to begin with.
There is another form of identity theft. There is an enemy who is hacking into the very idea of Christianity and watering down the truth of what being a Jesus follower really is. Christianity, by many people's view point, has been reduced to merely a tradition or a heritage.
Satan would love nothing more than this very defining truth to become so diluted that there is no longer any distinction between believers and a lost world; Probably because this is so opposite of what the Word of God actually says.
If any man be in Christ, He is a new creation. The old is passed away. Behold, all things have been made new. (2 Corinthians 5:17)
Being a Christian is not something I choose to add to a long list of interests and hobbies on a social media site or on a job application. Claiming Christianity means I have been born again. It means that I had a total regeneration, an amazing rebirth, a revolution in my life, when I asked Jesus Christ to be King. I became a believer and a Jesus follower when I repented of my sins and cried out to the Savior. He literally set me free. He revealed to me all of the terrible, filthy, and wretched things I had been allowing to sit on the thrown of my heart...and He took the rightful position there. I've. Never. Been. The. Same.
I have a new ID. I'm not that same girl who searched for fulfillment down dead end streets. Once I drank from the well of the water of life, I knew that that was what I'd been thirsting for all the time. I was finally satisfied.
Being a believer defines who I am. At one time, I was defined by these various hobbies, interests, or reputations.
Now I'm marked by one truth- and that is, that I'm a redeemed child of God. I am a daughter of the King and He is leading and teaching me more each and every day.
I play the guitar and I like writing music. I like to sew and create. I am an advocate for women having choices in childbirth. I'm a birth doula. I think breast feeding, cloth diapers, midwifery, natural living, and staying at home as a mom are some of God's greatest gifts. I have some pretty uncommon views on parenting, and life in general. I like to shop. I enjoy chocolate and coffee a little too much.
None of those things define me. I have friends who have c-sections, are vegetarians, love pampers and have completely different choices and views than I do. That's okay with me. Jesus is my substance and my purpose. I strive to live my life for His glory, and my identity is found in Him alone. There is no platform or purpose that I desire to get an upper hand, because my King is the One guiding and all the glory belongs to Him alone. In fact, many of my interests were solely birthed in me out of conviction, others are simple interests and hobbies.
When all of these other things begin to crowd out the Lord and the wonderful light He has given His children to shine, we are allowing the enemy to steal our identity. We are handing him our debit card and giving him the password. We are telling him to go on a shopping spree and stop for fettuccine Alfredo at Olive Garden on the way home.
But we'll have to answer to the bank when we let Satan represent us on his purchases. We'll have to call the bank, and we'll have to straighten out the mess of allowing someone else to step up in our name and ruin our testimony.
The truth is, many of the measly things we get hung up on aren't really all that detrimental in the big scheme of life, death, and eternity. When we are marked by our Creator, when we are given a light to shine in the darkness, we have such an opportunity to point others to real hope, true peace and absolute victory. When we hand over our ID, we are only pointing to ourselves.
I can get pretty passionate about various topics that are close to my heart. When God gives me a platform, I intend on representing Him the best I know how. But, He is the reason I serve. He is the reason I speak. He Is the reason I live. When I forget that, it's just not about Him anymore. It's about me and my pride. Pride never did anything for the kingdom of God and it never will.
The Holy Spirit is an expert on revealing to me if I've been letting the enemy use my debit card. It's such a freeing feeling to recognize an area where I've felt burdened due to trying to chase something God never set my feet to, or if I've simply been speaking for my glory and not His. It's freeing because, I can finally surrender that area and allow His peace to flood my heart once again.
God help me to be more marked by You and less by myself with each passing day. You are my purpose. You are my life. May every passion you set these feet to pursue, leave only eyes pointing to You and hearts turning to You. Because, Lord, I know anything else is just a waste of my time, and a waste of a life.
3 comments:
THATS REALLY GOOD!
So, so, so, so good, Calley! I think you could write a book. Really uplifting, a great analogy.
Amber: She does have a way with words doesnt she. After this whole experience I bet she could write one. I would buy it!
Post a Comment