I've definitely been un-intentionally living in countdown mode for a while now. I'm counting down to Christmas...well, Christmas Eve actually, which is when a lot of our Christmas festivities take place. That's only 12 days away! Wowzers. Truth be told, I have very, very little Christmas shopping done. I'm normally better about this, but this year has been different in so many ways and I'm going to do my best to knock out the rest that needs to be done next week. Danny and I are both pretty pumped about going out of town for the day and completely wiping out the list of to-dos. It will be an all day date for us! Probably the last for many moons to come, so we intend on soaking it up! :))
I'm also living in baby Reed countdown mode. I am 36 1/2 weeks pregnant! The last part of this pregnancy has flown by! (This summer, eh, not so much.) And while, knowing me, it will be a good two weeks after Christmas before little baby decides to make his appearance, it's still a bizarre thought that he could actually come any time in the next 3-5 weeks!
Most things are set in order. Danny finished up the hammock, but he wasn't really satisfied with the frame, so he's planning to try making another end with a few alterations.


Precious little baby shoes that a friend gave us. I can't wait to meet those little, itty-bitty-ish feet. Maybe not too itty-bitty, since I don't make bitty babies, but still little. :) Amaus was 10 lbs 11 oz at birth, but my belly feels significantly smaller than it did with him. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but we'll see what happens!
I've been feeling pretty great. Much better than I typically feel at around 8 1/2 months pregnant. Only in the last week have I started getting slightly achy in my hips and pelvis. I don't mind though. That just means we are getting closer!
Unfortunately, I lost my faithful walking partner at somewhere around 4 months pregnant. I've really missed that! I swam laps and walked through the summer for exercise, and when it got too cold for swimming, I've gone to only walking. I've really enjoyed getting outside each morning and having around an hour with some good tunes and/or preaching, and some fresh air. Most mornings are filled with some Hillsongs, Bethel, Switchfoot, Waterdeep, Matt Redman, Craig Groeschel, Christine Caine, Steven Furtick, Joel Sockstill kind of goodness...encouraging, wonderful stuff. :)
I'm so grateful to my hubs, who is glad to hold down the fort every day for me to be able to recharge my batteries a bit.

Danny and the kids cheering me on before leaving for a walk. This photo is completely posed. Yes, my family always WANTS to line up and cheer me on before each walk, but I try to encourage them to use their energies in other more useful ways, of course.

Now, this picture is definitely not posed. Because...I like to strike a ridiculous squat position in my leggings, shorts, and leg warmers (making regular clothes work with a huge belly, while staying warm) before each walk. It's my salute to the above fan club. My personal promise to walk as fast as I can and get back to make breakfast before too long.

"Never fear, Reedlings. I will return in a FLASH. My personal promise to you!! Now, please, kindly do not tear the house down while I am away."
The kids are nearly through with their homeschool curriculum for the year, since we began in June and have only had one week off since! I'm thinking of throwing a
"SCHOOL'S OUT-FOR-WINTEERR!!" (Insert Alice Cooper voice here) celebration.
Honestly, doing school through this summer was really helpful, since we are finished right as our new baby is due. But I never want to do that again unless I have to. It was not fun to miss out on all of the normal relaxation and chillaxin of summer. Even though the kids are ahead a pretty significant amount, they technically cannot go the next eight months without any school at all. So, as usual, they will have to read every day and work on some writing. But I am also considering buying a computer program that works on math, reading, language arts, and science by skill level to polish up and stay refreshed on everything we've worked on this year. While I don't intend to go to a video or computer based curriculum full time, I think it will be helpful for this season of adjusting to being a family of 7. Also, it's something new to the kids, who are used to our traditional, book based schooling. In short, I think it's going to be great. We are still taking our much needed winter break first, though!

The day Isaac finished 2nd grade Math!

The day Josiah finished 4th grade math!

The day Amaus drew Larry Boy! The greatest imaginary guy on the planet, next to Puss in Boots, of course. (Check out the plump cucumber body, and plunger ear, head piece. Oh yeah.)

I cannot stop laughing at this picture! Amaus, with his BFF cousin Elizabeth. He's decked out in his swimming trunks, Puss in Boots boots, cowboy hat, and cape. There's a lot of super hero business to be taken care of in Reedville. All in a day's work.
Camila has been talking so much more lately. She is constantly pointing out things and telling us the names for them. She mimics many phrases and will come up to announce things to us she sees.

She's sure been enjoying the Christmas lights and songs of the season.
My sweet friend Denae Hula, with Denae Hula Photography offered to take some maternity pictures for me. I've actually never done anything like that. Not senior pictures or even bridal portraits, and certainly not maternity pictures. I had a fun time though, and am glad to have a few pictures from somewhere besides the iPhone. Here are a couple of the ones she took, including a new family photo.


(And blog header!)
Thanks so much Denae! You rock!
A scripture that God really hit me with has been swimming around in my heart. When this happens, and the Lord is trying to teach me something, it's as if everywhere I turn, a particular verse is hitting me in the face.
Micah 6:8
He has shown you O man, what is good. And what does The Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?
Sometimes I make life so complicated. I clutter it up with a pile of junk and a stack of burdens God never intended on me bearing or fretting over. Life really is simple. Put Christ first. Put being merciful and compassionate first. Walk and live by the Spirit and let Jesus guide your steps. Everything else is just details. The important things get taken care of, when the most important things are placed first. I recently have began striving for a standard my day to day living. It was something God gave me while attending one night of a marriage conference, recently. I intend on painting it on a sign and hanging it to remind myself of the important things.
LOVE.
YOU BEFORE ME.
COMPASSION BEFORE CHORES, TO-DO LISTS, AND MY AGENDA.
SERVANTHOOD BEFORE SELF SATISFACTION.
LOVE.
I don't want my kids to grow up with me expecting them to treat others with this guideline of living, yet I, all the while am so focused on all I need to get done and all of my obligations, that I miss living it myself. There is nothing more important than laughing together, hugging, playing, talking, learning together, and connecting. If those things are missed, then I've failed. Plain and simple. If I put anything before showing my family and others this kind of selfless love, I've missed my calling. I'm praying for God to sharpen the areas in my life that need sharpening, and to cut away the areas that need to die. With the amazing family and opportunities that Jesus has given me...I can't afford to do this thing half-way. I want to do it with victory, and nothing less. He's teaching me more about what that means, bit by bit. He's showing me how much further He wants to take me. Further than my own comforts, and even further from my "bubble" than He's brought me before. A person who is caught in the middle of surrender and comfort is very limited in their usefulness to a diseased, hurting, and lost world. God is not limited in His ability to move in, and use a person who is willing to break down each and every brick in their walls of comfort and pleasure. I refuse to live my life clinging to those rags while missing endless opportunities to seize the true treasures found in a life where Jesus is allowed to invade every corner, dream, and trophy. He sees those things for what they really are, and replaces them with triumph unending. I am earnestly looking forward to the season of "clearing my mind" ahead, as I focus solely on this thing called love. Nothing else for me in the coming months. This is where I desire to set my heart and my thoughts. I don't want to half-way live a life of love and servanthood. I want to learn to love more like Jesus, and I'm surrendering myself to that goal alone.
3 comments:
Beautiful post, maternity picture, and I'm loving Amaus the super hero-swimming-cowboy-cat boy! That boy cracks me up! :). Can't wait to see the little one. :)
That picture of you posing before your walk cracked my stuff up yo! I can imagine myself there with you, doing it too (but better, of course). Same ol' sense of humor. ;)
Post a Comment