*First things first! When I put my priorities in the right order...everything gets taken care of miraculously. When I don't, I get stressed and feel overwhelmed. That means cutting out a lot of wasted time and putting my time where it counts, and in the right order. I obviously fail at this sometimes, but when I get it right...everything of importance gets done. It's amazing how satisfying a feeling it is to know that a day was spent the right way! Playing with the kids, setting time aside to visit with Danny in the evenings or for afternoon coffee, spending time in the Word and in prayer, choosing to have an attitude of worship in daily tasks...that's what I'm talking ABOUT!

*Doing chores bit by bit, load by load, rather than letting things stack up, keeps the house clean way better than letting a big pile stack up and then having to spend hours folding and washing. I try to do a quick pick up through the house after lunch, before our smaller children lay down for a nap, and then another after I kiss them all good-night. That may mean having a small stack of toys gathered up in a pile by a child's room ready to be put up in the morning, or folded laundry waiting to be hung or put away...but the main thing is we're ready for the next day and not beginning it in disarray. A quick wipe of the counters, straightening of pillows and throws, and sorting of objects makes me feel like I'm starting my day on the right foot.

*Routine is good. Being flexible is great. We have a loose schedule that we follow most days. Our children know the mornings are for piano, school, and playing. The afternoons are for nap time for our 4 year olds, Amaus and Camila. Our older sons, Josiah and Isaac usually play outside all afternoon and Amaus and Camila join them in the evening. My afternoons are more quiet than my mornings.

Sometimes Josiah and Isaac want me to read to them or jump on the trampoline with them and I like being able to have that time with them, then. Sometimes I am able to read, or I take that time to go ahead and fold a load of laundry or two. I don't put my babies on a schedule, and don't really believe in baby wise type concepts. I nurse on demand and hold my babies a lot. How else can they learn trust and that someone is there when they need help?

They're babies for such a short time, I don't care to spend that time teaching them self-coping skills. I'd rather spend it rocking them. :) I've found though, that they pretty much work out their own schedule after around six weeks. All of my children have morphed into a napping routine of a morning and afternoon nap around the time they are about 6 weeks old. I don't have to do any weird "sleep training." At nighttime, my babies normally always wake up once or twice a night for at least six months. They're healthy and loved, though. :) Our general routine doesn't change much unless we leave the house, or if something unexpected comes up.

*A house full of people means everyone has to help. All of our children (excluding Salem, of course) know how to make their beds, pick up their toys, and help in some other ways. Josiah takes out the trash, Isaac vacuums under the kitchen table, under the bird cage, and by the front door. Amaus helps pick up trash outside and clean up random things around the house. Camila helps do the same. Everyone pitches in and does a little extra when we have a major cleaning day. When we work together it's done quickly, and we're all able to have more fun together. I'm not stuck scrubbing the house all day long, and we can all enjoy a cleaner house.

*It pays for me as the mom to eat healthy! I don't mean some kind of crazy diets and extremes like I have been on in the past. At times those worked, and at times they didn't, but simply being wise with my portions, skipping large meals at night, drinking water, and eating plenty of lean meat and veggis goes a long way! Just making good choices most of the time, with occasional enjoyable splurges. After a splurge, I try to get back on eating wisely.

Throughout my pregnancy with Salem I made better eating choices than in my previous pregnancies. I felt better, had more energy, and gained less weight. I'm also finding that the weight I did gain is coming off WAY easier than it ever has. I have a strange notion that pregnancy weight gained on good, protein rich foods comes off easier than when it's gained on a pile of junk. And trust me, I know plenty about junky eating. :/
Postpartum, unfortunately, we've had a bout of thrush which we've mostly been managing with my diet and probiotics. That all is enough as long as I stay away from dairy, bread, and sugar. That has been tough! Because thrush is a yeast, it feeds on sugar and dairy. Several times I have convinced myself those things couldn't be causing the problem. Like... the time I buried my face in a bowl of icing, and the time I finished off half a pan of pioneer woman cinnamon rolls. Sadly, only a couple of days after those rendezvous with Candyland, we were right back where we started, Salem having thrush again! I'm living proof. The food does make the difference. This issue has forced me to eat way better than I ever have, postpartum. I eat lots of chicken and salad. I'm getting more creative now, but my coffee is my only treat. The plus sides to this, are that the thrush stays away, I'm losing baby weight pretty fast, and I have energy and don't stay exhausted. The energy part is pretty noticeable. I'm not sure if after four kids and getting very little sleep you just embrace tiredness or if you get so used to sleepiness that you forget what being rested feels like! Ha! Either way, I knew that this round, naps were going to be pretty much out the window. That advice to "sleep when baby sleeps" kind of becomes impossible when there's more than one small child. But regardless, I'm functioning and don't even find myself lusting after a nap time MOST days.

*Exercise doesn't have to be formal and 2 hours long! I was able to get out for a power walk most days throughout my pregnancy, but I'm not able to now. Our mornings are pretty chaotic, we aren't at a point of me leaving while Danny gets ready for work in the mornings, and the treadmill wakes up the whole house. I refuse to spend our evening family time working out. No thanks. So instead, I've just been spending 30 minutes everyday doing some weights and exercises. Sometimes that's at once, other times that's 10 minutes here and there. I also do squats while I brush my teeth! :D Hey, you get it in anyway you can! Other than that, I've just been playing with the kids. Jumping on the trampoline, dancing, and playing in the yard. This routine is way funner and offers a whole lot more peace than the pressure of feeling like I have to do some extreme workout. A previous yoke I have put on my own neck, unnecessarily.

Life was meant to be lived with victory and abundance! Things I've known but am really seeing the fruit of now, in my priorities. I can waste as much time as the next fellow, striving, yet accomplishing nothing...or I can pour myself out for what's important, and have true joy and growth in my life. I want to be fruitful, and I don't want to be wasteful with the short time I have on this earth. I'm praying God teaches me how to refine my day in day out living, so that I can be better used for Him.

1 comment:
Great post! You are an inspiration. :)
Post a Comment