The other day Amaus found a notebook and pen and insisted on taking them outside. That caught me by surprise for a few reasons. Amaus has never been interested in drawing or writing. In fact, it was about like pulling teeth to get him to try copying letters or tracing shapes. Unlike my attempts with my first two preschoolers, where I was a little too enthusiastic in getting them to learn certain things early, I decided not to push him. So I was shocked that he wanted anything to do with a notebook and pen.
So out Amaus went, walking around and looking at things all over the property.
A little while later he came in with this picture.

He told me it was a chicken. I was beyond proud of my little guy. I could easily see that his hands were unsteady, but he had taken time to notice and draw eyes with pupils, amongst other details he'd apparently noticed in the chickens outside or elsewhere. He was proud of himself.
Amaus suddenly realized he could do something that he had previously thought he couldn't, and it was even something he had been frustrated with before. I could have pushed the issue sooner and I know how it would have ended. It would have been Amaus attempting to do something to please me, that he enjoyed no less. But when he discovered that this drawing thing was pretty great, all on his own, he also happened to have fun with it!
There is something super about people discovering their worth and their gifts, straight from God Himself. It is a beautiful unveiling when the children of God suddenly realize a special thing God has given them that they had never realized before! This is one of the most amazing things to watch happen in the Body of Christ.
The Lord begins to show people gifts that He has given them to use for His glory, when they begin seeking His heart and following His lead. They may have walked through life for 30 or 40 years without knowing they had these special gifts, and when their hearts are made new by the Lord, they begin to become aware of what treasures God has placed within them. Other well meaning people could have forced them into certain positions in the church out of need and out of desperation, but when they are shown what gifts God has given them, they are suddenly passionate about serving with those gifts. They realize their worth and they want to use anything they can to bring Jesus praise.

As for my budding artist, well you scarcely see him without a notebook and pen these days. It's a beautiful unveiling when gifts are uncovered.
No comments:
Post a Comment