Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Hospitable Life

I have been teaching a series called LIVING THE LIFE on Wednesday nights. Last week was the last week called, The Hospitable Life. This is a summary of that message.




All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper ), and to prayer. A deep sense of awe came over them all, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders. And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity — all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved. (Acts 2:42-47 NLT)


What is HOSPITALITY?
-The friendly reception and treatment of guests or strangers
-The quality disposition of receiving and treating guests and strangers in a warm, friendly, generous way.


When I think about the early church as described in the above passage, I think about complete hospitality. Everyone sharing what they had with a warm openness. Everyone living with their arms open wide, no reserves; loving one another in the name of Jesus. The perfect picture of surrender.
"And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved." (Acts 2:47)


A few weeks back, God really hit me with this thing called hospitality. Could it be, that perhaps the reason the church at large isn't having new people added to the fellowship at the rate that was witnessed in the days of the early church, because we have lost sight of the power found in simple hospitality?
An increasingly hermit-like society is what we are slowly becoming, so it seems. Technology and Internet make people feel slightly connected with others, yet so incredibly far from what the church was intended to be. The church was intended to be an interwoven community, striving side-by-side in day in day out living. A working body that was there weeping, rejoicing, serving, and living side by side. It's rather foolish for us to believe that simply by inviting people to a service one or two times a week, that their lives will be impacted forever. People were created to need others. Expecting the broken and hurting ones in our society to take off their masks and open up their hearts when there is no warmth and outstretched arms in daily living is truly naive thinking. Hospitality in day in day out living is a key that opens the door for people to see who Christ really is.


Jesus was our example of complete hospitality. Jesus was constantly reaching out to the hurting. Even when He went away to pray, and people followed Him He had compassion on them because they were like sheep without a shepherd (Matthew 9:36). Even when He was teaching adults, He didn't see the children as an inconvenience. "Let them come to Me," He declared (Matthew 19:14).


"There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. "
(John 14:2, 3 NLT)


More than enough room...not only did Jesus make His life about others, He made provision for all of mankind to be with Him for eternity, if they'd only believe on Him. Jesus' life was poured out for people. Thank God He didn't live for "me time."


When I was a little girl, I loved the summers spent at my dad and step mom's house, where people dropped by daily. In fact, people would typically stop by at least a couple of times a week and stay until late in the night discussing the things of the Lord. I remember hearing people share about their struggles, their victories, healing, and trials, even as a child. We, the kids, were always welcomed into this environment. I remember listening with awe and feeling a passion for Christ rising up within me. I remember thinking, "One day, I want to have a home where people feel this same freedom! I want to have a home where people know they can come and be loved, comforted, and prayed for no matter what they're going through!"


I obviously had a child mindset at the time. I knew nothing of daily responsibilities, work, and obligations. I knew nothing of the actual sacrifice it took to create a home that truly welcomed people and was surrendered entirely for God to use for His glory.


As I have grown up, though, I've realized just what a sacrifice that requires. Sadly, as I assess this looking back, I have been far from deliberate about creating an environment of complete surrender and hospitality in my home. Don't get me wrong, I do my best to make people feel welcome when they stop by. Unfortunately, people rarely stop by, though. I believe God has opened my eyes as to why.


When an opportunity to be hospitable arises, at times, my mind sadly has run to my personal capabilities and obligations. I quickly find myself assessing my stores and supplies, my bank account, my time, my to-do list...and then I determine within myself if I'm truly able to be hospitable in those given opportunities.


It came to me like a ton of bricks in recent weeks
If I am going to give to people based on my supplies and resources, I shouldn't bother giving at all. People do not need more of me. They need Jesus. On the other hand, if I'll tap into the great resources of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, there will always be enough to pour out. Enough money, enough time, and enough energy. After all, I want to show people Jesus. That's where real life and peace is found.


There is this deception given to mankind, that if a person lives their life in this realm of hospitality, there won't be enough left over for themselves. It is truly a lie. God has designed us in such a way that we are strengthened as we serve others. We are refreshed in fellowship.


The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed. (Proverbs 11:25 NLT)


That's why, when we find ourselves in trials and valleys and in the midst of depression, the first temptation we have is to seclude ourselves. To break away from fellowship with others. If Satan can keep us there we'll wither away into a darker hole, becoming useless to others and more miserable ourselves. Satan knows that a fellowship of people deliberate about their passion for Christ is dangerous to his attempts to wreak havoc on mankind. When people get together discussing and living in the things of the Lord, truly sharing all they have, that consuming fire is stirred into flame. Lives are changed!


I cannot tell you the difference in our home since this simple mindset of hospitality has been changed. What freedom!


A hospitable life is one that is lived with PEOPLE as the priority. Period. The opposite of hospitality is selfishness. God is showing me that I am not truly surrendered to hospitality if I've compartmentalized my life into categories of "me-time" with a side of, "and I'll give a little of myself here."


In a truly hospitable life, people and souls are valued as far more important than time, homes, and to-do lists. Take a quick survey of those you know who are truly impacting others for the kingdom of God, and you'll find that these individual's lives are an open book. They live in such a way that everything they have, including their home and time, is surrendered to people. The essence of SERVANTHOOD.


In fact, it's foolish to say that I have a heart after God's heart, but I don't have a heart for people. That is a contradiction in terms. The kingdom of God is about PEOPLE. If my heart isn't for people, I need a heart change.


"Change my heart to be like Yours, Lord Jesus. May I live my life for others, continually. May they see YOU in my open arms and my open life. May they see YOU in my home. I surrender it all at Your feet!"

No comments: